Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9th August 2021, 02:46 PM   #4
Mickey the Finn

Looks kocetan to me, but not enough legs, and poor body condition. I hope it was not intended to be a dog.

I once saw a keris hilt for sale... To me it looked like a guy in a baseball cap with the visor flipped upwards, sort of inverted, and with what appeared to be a perforated shower pipe coming up behind him and making a 90 degree angle over his shoulders. I've since learned a few things, and I believe that hilt was intended as some sort of avant garde self-stylization in the form of Hanuman. I did not buy it.

I once bought a keris hilt with a similar "tail", but the face was a lot like the naga we all know and recognize when we see it. I think it was billed as a danganan Hanuman, but I had other ideas when I bought it, although I said nothing to the seller about it. It may be some sort of raksasa, or a bhuta. The hands display a mudra which I have not yet looked up. It may well turn out to be Hanuman after I figure out the meaning of the mudra.

I don't know much, but I'd call it a danganan kocetan, for no reason other than having seen other "horse headed" danganan kocetan in the past, and I am predisposed to view this hilt as having a "horse head", although it may actually be intended as the head of a beetle or pupa. The back does not look like any caterpillar I've ever seen, though. I can only presume that the carver knew what he intended to represent, though perhaps he saw it "as through a glass, darkly". At night when attempting to aim an air pistol at a target, I can only barely make out the front sight post in the U-notch rear, but I'm not missing the 1'x1' plywood piece at about 25'. In the dark I'm not even trying to hit the fox face I drew on the pizza box, or the beer can on top of it.

In Loving Memory of Plum (Plum-Plum)
2010-26 July 2021
Kostan.

M.t.F.
Mickey the Finn is offline   Reply With Quote