Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th March 2024, 05:28 PM   #1
bsolis1

Default Help identifying mark on stiletto?

Let me start by saying that I've loved this forum from a distance for the better part of a decade and I've finally found a question I couldn't answer by searching the archive.

I recently received the pictured stiletto in an auction lot of assorted daggers and I'm hoping someone can help me identify it. It came with a tag that said "Gunner's Dagger $1,650" - which would be an absurd price even if it was what it claimed to be. In the picture, it's next to an early 17th century northern Italian stylet and screams modern to me, though I'd love to be wrong.

It is very similar to the All-Steel Stiletto sold by Windlass Steelcraft, but smaller, with slight differences in the handle. Under magnification, there was a faint mark almost completely obscured by patina. Sacrilege though it may be, I had to know and uncovered it. I've been trying to figure out what it's supposed to be - my best guess is some sort of crown?

Any chance anyone recognizes the mark? Ultimately, I guess I'm trying to determine if it's an old reproduction or a new one.

Overall length: 13.0625
Blade length: 7.5625

Thanks!
Attached Images

bsolis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2024, 11:17 AM   #2
corrado26

This is most likely not an original. A very similar piece with a completely identical crossguard was manufactured and offered by Frankonia GmbH in the 1980s.
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2024, 12:35 AM   #3
serdar

Helo, that stileto is 99,99% not right, maybe it is 19 ct or even modern.

Last year on in very bad condition run much higher than that.
Cheers.

Last edited by fernando; 27th March 2024 at 08:32 AM. Reason: No price discussions here, per rules
serdar is offline   Reply With Quote