Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:59 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Greek Kariophili/Rasak Musket

Hello ALL. A new addition to the family. I've always wanted one of these for my collection. But I've never been successful till now. Really happy with this one. The photos are exactly as I received it. Will be an easy, quick clean when I get to it.
While generally built like the others, there are some interesting features with this one. Most of these Greek style muskets show up with imported European flintlocks. This one sports a Balkan/Persian style miquelet lock, not seen as often. The lock is in perfect working order. The barrel is probably the most attractive part. I'm fairly confident the barrel was originally blued. The light bluish/grey patina is the clue. This fading is what happens when a charcoal-blue finish is left without oil. The barrel is 41 1/2" long and about .65 caliber.
There is beautiful chiseling and gold koftgari at the breech and muzzle ends.
There is some signature/writing in gold on the breech plug tang and the more center area of the barrel. (Greek or Latin ?) Maybe one of our Greek members can translate ? The gun is all iron mounted, including the barrel bands - which I believe were also blued as they match the patina of the barrel exactly. The wood ramrod is a later replacement. Due to the size of the ramrod hole I'm sure it originally had an iron ramrod like others. I may have one in my "suff" or I'll have one made.
The iron mounts on the stock and lock are not engraved and undecorated. The wood on the butt stock is punch decorated similar to others you see.
Except for some light rust in the bore, there is virtually no corrosion on any of the iron parts. I can tell the guns has been fired, but seen very little use.

So, a simple cleaning and a old/new ramrod and it will be ready for display.
Picture heavy, so any comments most welcome. And thanks for looking.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote