Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th May 2017, 11:00 AM   #1
thinreadline

Default SHIELD .. your thoughts welcomed

I have had this shield for many decades but have failed to get a positive ID on it , even to the part of the world ... there have been many suggestions ..China , India, Persia, Ethiopia, Sudan .... but nothing with any more evidence than gut feeling and guesswork .... so I appeal to you all out there to help me solve this puzzle and place this shield in its correct context within my collection !
Diameter is 53 cm and it is painted hide .
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 08:43 AM   #2
colin henshaw

Unusual, I can't really place it. The handle with the padding makes me think of an Indian dhal, but the form and decoration seem from further East ? So, maybe South-East Asia somewhere. Its a bit like a Japanese jingasa, but probably not that. The lotus flower ? decoration is probably a clue.

Hopefully someone else can identify it accurately.

Last edited by colin henshaw; 5th May 2017 at 09:11 AM.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 09:46 AM   #3
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Unusual, I can't really place it. The handle with the padding makes me think of an Indian dhal, but the form and decoration seem from further East ? So, maybe South-East Asia somewhere. Its a bit like a Japanese jingasa, but probably not that. The lotus flower ? decoration is probably a clue.

Hopefully someone else can identify it accurately.

Yes somewhat of a mystery .... I last asked this question 5 years ago and with a similar mixed response http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14825 hopefully someone may recognise it this time !
Old 5th May 2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

I've only seen one other and it was a very high end example, also red in colour.
Nothing comes to mind as far as origins but but the flavour to me is mid to north East African, however the internals, the grip, appears for the most to my eye as SEA.
I hope this tough nut is cracked as I was most intrigued with the previous example and most interest to know there is another of the type.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 12:12 PM   #5
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent
I've only seen one other and it was a very high end example, also red in colour.
Nothing comes to mind as far as origins but but the flavour to me is mid to north East African, however the internals, the grip, appears for the most to my eye as SEA.
I hope this tough nut is cracked as I was most intrigued with the previous example and most interest to know there is another of the type.

Gavin
appreciate your comments Gavin .... with the breadth of experience here surely someone will have some clear evidence .
Old 5th May 2017, 03:13 PM   #6
colin henshaw

The trusty Oldman catalogue shows a shield from Siam (Thailand), that from the description, sounds a little bit like yours ?? However, from the image, not much can be made out...
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 04:14 PM   #7
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
The trusty Oldman catalogue shows a shield from Siam (Thailand), that from the description, sounds a little bit like yours ?? However, from the image, not much can be made out...

Yes it has similarities though it does appear to have 4 small bosses ... and mine is just hide rather than leather covered wood ... but food for thought , thanks Colin
Old 6th May 2017, 06:31 PM   #8
Maurice

Default A similar shield

Hi,

a good friend has a similar shield in his collection!

Kind regards,
Maurice
Attached Images

Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 10:11 PM   #9
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
Hi,

a good friend has a similar shield in his collection!

Kind regards,
Maurice
Wow ... that is virtually identical ... what does your friend consider it to be ?
Old 9th May 2017, 11:42 AM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I would also approach from the design angle which seems to be off the silkroad with the main repeat patterns being crosses . The cross sign is simply a reflection of candles thus they are representing a general idea of welcoming..usually on Yurt textile doors. The other geometry seems to be a portcullis or fortress window geometry (from which arrows could be fired) which can also be construed as a cross ...but seen below more clearly on carpet designs ....below. Thus I would consider The Silkroad and perhaps Kazakh as the source.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote