Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th September 2015, 04:49 PM   #1
David R

Default Recently acquired Kukri, number 2

I had a good day at Birmingham (UK) Arms Fair yesterday, and came away with two Kukri. I am posting this one first as being the more interesting, and the one I have the most questions about.
But first, the photo's.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 04:55 PM   #2
David R

As you can see it is made for a small hand, I can not get more than 3 fingers round the grip but it is no toy. The etched decoration is nice, but means there is no way I can check for a laminated blade... Could this be a faked damascus or of some other significance. I am also intrigued by the lack of suspension loop on the back and what looks to be an extra pocket behind the bi-knives.
Attached Images

Old 14th September 2015, 04:59 PM   #3
David R

There also looks to be some repair work to the scabbard with glued fine leather (or perhaps something like gaffer tape).
Old 14th September 2015, 10:45 PM   #4
kronckew

yup. older ones had no belt loop. they were shoved in their sash belt. some had a leather thong thing with a button end and a loop end you could tie around your sash to keep it from falling out. see attached, scabbard has the full tool kit of files, scrapers, pricks, button hooks, etc. as well as the chackmak and karda.

note the smoothly curved spine without the sudden bend at the end of the sword of shiva (the double line decoration near the spine ending in a point) you find on most more modern ones...and the grips were much shorter.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 11:27 PM   #5
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
As you can see it is made for a small hand, I can not get more than 3 fingers round the grip but it is no toy. The etched decoration is nice, but means there is no way I can check for a laminated blade... Could this be a faked damascus or of some other significance. I am also intrigued by the lack of suspension loop on the back and what looks to be an extra pocket behind the bi-knives.
Hello David,

Nice to see you have caught the kukri bug, I warned you they are addictive!

You kukri appears to be a very well made traditional Nepalese example, dating somewhere from the very end of the 19thC, into the first quarter of the 20thC.

There are no belt loops, as it would traditionally have been carried in the belt sash. I have attached an image to demonstrate the traditional carry.

The etched blade decoration is not commonly encountered, and certainly lifts an otherwise "standard" piece up, and was obviously added to demonstrate the owner was a "cut" above!

Is it etched on both sides?

Repair work on old scabbards is common, especially on these older pieces. It is very easy to cut through the inside edge of the scabbard when drawing the blade if one is not used to handling a kukri.

I look forward to seeing your other piece too!

Kind regards,

Chris

PS How did you find the Birmingham fair? There were three big fairs on that day, I am sure the organisers do it on purpose out of rivalry, but it only hurts the dealers, and the collectors, who cannot be in three places at once!
Attached Images

mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 11:46 PM   #6
David R

Hiya, and thanks to you both for the feedback. Nice to be told I have an old one..... The blade is etched on both sides and despite the short grip, handles nicely. The ferule fits so tightly and blends so well with the blade that at first I thought it a bolster forged in one with the blade.
Regarding the Fair, it was much as usual though with a handful of empty tables and not as crowded as often is. The less crowded venue meant I spotted stuff I think I would have missed otherwise, ie this particular blade, and an original Indian bullet mould that I will post later.
Old 15th September 2015, 12:59 AM   #7
mrcjgscott

Hello David,

It is certainly a well made piece, and the good quality etching and the carving of the grip ring are signs of its quality.

Here are a couple of old pictures of an etched piece I own, for comparison. Mine is a appears to be patterns of "eyes" which may have had some religious or spiritual meaning.

All the best,

Chris
Attached Images

Old 15th September 2015, 11:32 AM   #8
Ken Maddock

Quote:
. I am also intrigued by the lack of suspension loop on the back and what looks to be an extra pocket behind the bi-knives.
hi
nice knife
my understanding (minimal) was the pouch was for flint and tinder
regards
Ken
Ken Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 12:23 PM   #9
mrcjgscott

Hi Ken,

You are not wrong. The pouch, Khissa can hold many things, including flint and tinder. I have also found prayers, coins, and I know of others who have found letters, an arrow head, and even a telegram.

Kind regards,

Chris
Old 15th September 2015, 03:30 PM   #10
Berkley

Quote:
I am... intrigued by what looks to be... an extra pocket behind the bi-knives.
If you have not already discovered it, you will find that the pocket contains yet another pouch as described by Chris. Gently pulling on the fringed tab at the mouth of the pocket should reveal the enclosed pouch.
Attached Images

Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 03:53 PM   #11
David R

Yup, spot on............ as soon as I saw your post I had a look, and there it was!
Attached Images