Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th December 2022, 04:28 AM   #1
ariel

Sorry to hear that your information about the history of Central Asia and The Great Game came only from Russian books.
Recommend Peter Hopkirk's "The Great Game", by far the best source. You might enjoy it: very detailed and fascinating analysis, reads like a thriller. Get it.
Till you read the above 3 books I withdraw from any further discussions of the subject. After that we can talk.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 10:46 AM   #2
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
Sorry to hear that your information about the history of Central Asia and The Great Game came only from Russian books.
Recommend Peter Hopkirk's "The Great Game", by far the best source. You might enjoy it: very detailed and fascinating analysis, reads like a thriller. Get it.
Till you read the above 3 books I withdraw from any further discussions of the subject. After that we can talk.
Are we done talking about politics? I am glad that you read not 2 books on the history of the region, but as many as 3. By the way, I cannot but agree with you. Hopkirk's book is really not bad. Although perhaps also a little biased. But this is normal, given that it was written by an English-speaking author I recommend that you still read Russian-speaking authors in order to be able to look at the historical processes in the region from two sides. Also, it will not be superfluous to get acquainted with the works of French and German researchers of the region. If you are interested in them, write to the PM and I will tell you their names.

However, let's get back to the subject by discussing this topic. Maybe you place in this topic photos of the Central Asian shamshirs that you spoke about at the beginning?
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 11:30 AM   #3
mahratt

Persian shamshir with a handle covered with leather from the Metropolitan Museum of Art:

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/30903
Attached Images

Old 8th December 2022, 12:54 PM   #4
Drabant1701

Many thanks all for your kind words. While browsing sold auctions at bonhams i found this sword with leather on wood and with gold applied in a similar manner as the subject sword. https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18814/lot/46/
Attached Images

Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 12:59 PM   #5
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabant1701 View Post
Many thanks all for your kind words. While browsing sold auctions at bonhams i found this sword with leather on wood and with gold applied in a similar manner as the subject sword. https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18814/lot/46/
Great example, Drabant. Congratulations! In my opinion, you have found undeniable confirmation of the Indian origin of your shamshir.
The only pity is that Ariel will not please us with images of leather handles of shamshirs from Central Asia. I was so hoping to close the gaps in my knowledge on this subject.
Old 8th December 2022, 01:20 PM   #6
rand

Default Spine of Shamshir

Hello,

You have a wonderful Shamshir. I have one question, on the spine of the blade near the cross guard, can you see any folds in the steel? And if so, is there anything inlaid into the exposed fold?

Thanks,
rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 05:03 PM   #7
Drabant1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
Hello,

You have a wonderful Shamshir. I have one question, on the spine of the blade near the cross guard, can you see any folds in the steel? And if so, is there anything inlaid into the exposed fold?

Thanks,
rand
There is a line all the way from the crossguard down to the tip along the back of the sword, it is filled with a silver like metal.
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote