Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th February 2024, 11:49 AM   #1
JustYS

Default Karna Tinanding Luk 9

Kamardikan Balinese Keris from the same maker as my previous Balinese Keris for your comments.

When the pamor touch the edge of the blade as you can see here, is that a sign of a not so well controlled pamor?
Attached Images

JustYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2024, 05:34 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I must admit that i have never been particularly attracted to this dhapur, and i can't recall seeing too many old Balinese keris that use it. But it appears to be a nicely dressed and well made kamardikan blade.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2024, 06:45 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Yes YS, the edge of the blade should always be free of pamor, it should show a black "frame" all the way around the blade.

However, this blade does appear to be nicely welded & well sculpted. Both blade faces should be mirror images, one of the other.

Who was the maker?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2024, 01:26 AM   #4
JustYS

Thank you David.

Regarding your remark that not many old Balinese keris has this dhapur, probably because this dhapur is recent variation? If my memory is correct both Dhapur Surakarta and Keris Jawa listed Karna Tinanding as straight keris.

Thank you Alan.

The maker (well at least I obtained it from him) is Pande Yuga Wardiana, he is the grandson of Pande Ketut Sandi, although I remember he told me that he did not learn to make keris from his grandfather.
Old 1st March 2024, 01:38 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Thank you YS.

There has been a bit of a proliferation of keris makers in Bali over the last few years.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2024, 02:10 AM   #6
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYS View Post
Thank you David.

Regarding your remark that not many old Balinese keris has this dhapur, probably because this dhapur is recent variation? If my memory is correct both Dhapur Surakarta and Keris Jawa listed Karna Tinanding as straight keris.

Thank you Alan.

The maker (well at least I obtained it from him) is Pande Yuga Wardiana, he is the grandson of Pande Ketut Sandi, although I remember he told me that he did not learn to make keris from his grandfather.

https://www.nusabali.com/berita/7776...-usia-25-tahun

He is quite popular and many of his blades' pamor are shiny, might be due to different materials being used.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2024, 03:17 AM   #7
JustYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G. View Post

He is quite popular and many of his blades' pamor are shiny, might be due to different materials being used.
Yes Anthony some people who commissioned Keris to him brought their own material.

Mine is not commissioned.
Old 1st March 2024, 04:11 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYS View Post
Yes, i believe it may well be a Javanese dhapur and only recently do we see Balinese style keris that employ it.
It is not the fact that your keris has luk with this design that i don't care for. I just don't personally enjoy the double Sekar Kacang on keris. It almost always has an awkward appearance for me, even with keris lurus.
David is offline   Reply With Quote