Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 11th September 2018, 05:06 PM   #1
bvieira

Default chinese ram

Hello,

I have this ram in my collection, don't know much about it, the material is copper with a gold bath!

Anybody has anything similar ?

Regards,

BV
Attached Images

bvieira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Jon MB

My guess would be Qing dynasty 18th/ 19th C. in earlier style. Copper repousse with fire guilding. If genuine.
Jon MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 09:02 PM   #3
josh stout

it's one of those "if genuine" situations, but Qing figurines like this can be quite valuable.

I can't tell its age by looking at the pictures, nevertheless, I don't see anything wrong with it. It is similar in style and construction to other genuine things.

It looks like mercury gilding, which would place it in the late Qing.
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 09:08 PM   #4
josh stout

On another look, I am slightly suspicious of the globs sitting on top of the gold. Is it trying to look like truly ancient encrusted mineral deposits? That is not a good sign. I don't think it is ancient.

On the other hand, the Qing did copy earlier work, so it could be an old copy. Most copies are modern.
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 02:22 PM   #5
Jon MB

https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Colle...OrigTitle=true

As Josh pointed out, modern copies and fakes exist.... I am not saying yours is a fake per se, only that animals like this are a popular theme for fakers.

If yours is made from copper and is hollow, that is a good sign, but as Josh says, the splattering is odd and looks like and attempt to create the kind of corrosion seen on early items like Warring States period artefacts that have been excavated.

The item illustrated here is a typical modern solid casting in brass that has been chemically treated to create an 'aged' effect.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jon MB; 17th October 2018 at 02:46 PM.
Jon MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:46 AM   #6
bvieira

Hello and thank you all for the opinions!

I have seen these copies on ebay, but they are very diferent if you check the details on both pieces these ebay ones i have no doubts they are machine made, the one i have you can see that's a unique piece that was worked by hand by a craftsman...

When and where was made and how much is worth is my big doubt!

I analyze the black material that the object was in some parts, my suspect is that this object was involved somehow in a fire and that material is burned material from other objects, behind the material there is still the gold bath intacted, the gold protected the object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C70dsq4em9k i have found this video there is a similar but bronze and bigger at second 10 to 14...

Regards,

BV
bvieira is offline   Reply With Quote