Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th October 2015, 12:51 AM   #1
Spunjer

Default WW2 Sulu Kris

something that is not discussed as often here are newer krises. Newer, as in those WW2 krises that are more likely than not adorned with mother of pearls on handles and scabbard. unfortunately, a lot of these M.O.P.'s are either broken or missing.
here's an example that is complete: the M.O.P. are all present, starting from the cap, all eight sides of the pommel, and the right side of the scabbard. what's odd, is the scabbard tip. i thought it was M.O.P. at first, but upon closer inspection, it's actually ivory, a first encounter for me.
regarding the blade, it is laminated, as i suspected. also, it doesn't have a separation line.
comments are welcome!
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015, 10:41 AM   #2
Sajen

Hello Ron,

wow, what a beautiful kris, congrats! I am green with envy.

Do you have noticed that the show side is the "wrong" side? I have seen this by nearly all kris in this style. Do you have an explanation for this?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Spunjer

thanks Detlef. the only explanation i can think of is the way they would carry it. here's a picture of a Suluanon with the exact type of kalis.
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015, 05:14 PM   #4
sirupate

I've always been intrigued by the design on those kris, anyone know what the wavy blade shape design was for? Cheers Simon
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 03:46 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
thanks Detlef. the only explanation i can think of is the way they would carry it. here's a picture of a Suluanon with the exact type of kalis.
I have seen quite a number of photos of Moros using this draw method for their kris. I have tried it and it is very effective.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 03:48 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Oh yeah, and a very beautiful and complete example of this era of kris.
Old 14th October 2015, 04:38 AM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Very true David. But the technique of holding the scabbard with the left hand tightly around it is not recommended--that's a good way to slice your hand if the blade protrudes between the two halves of the wooden sheath. The only thing preventing that is the rattan wrapping, and a sharp blade will go through rattan like a knife through butter.

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I have seen quite a number of photos of Moros using this draw method for their kris. I have tried it and it is very effective.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 04:49 AM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Very true David. But the technique of holding the scabbard with the left hand tightly around it is not recommended--that's a good way to slice your hand if the blade protrudes between the two halves of the wooden sheath. The only thing preventing that is the rattan wrapping, and a sharp blade will go through rattan like a knife through butter.

Ian.
Ian, i am only referring to the direction of the draw as a method here, not the tight hold on the scabbard with the left hand. I would imaging that was done for the sake of the pose in the photograph. With this "upside down" method the sword is drawn with one smooth motion to bring the blade into a downward strike position.
Here is another much older image of a warrior who uses the same draw, judging by the position of the scabbard in his belt.
Attached Images