Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th November 2020, 11:37 AM   #1
ALEX

Default Joseph Heylin Pistol with Makkara Hilt

Here is unusual Heylin pistol with (Indian) makkara hilt. J. Heylin was London based gunmaker in the 18thC, and the hilt could be custom made/added in India. I was just intrigued by the hilt, anyone seen similar?
Attached Images

ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2020, 03:47 PM   #2
Peter Andeweg

The shape of the hilt is a 'Yali', often described as lion-griffin hybrid and is commonly seen on bronze hilted daggers from South India (Tanjore, Tamil and Mysore region) in the 17th and 18th century. Very interesting combination!

Regards,
Peter
Peter Andeweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2020, 09:36 PM   #3
Fernando K

Hola

Me parece que no es un trabajo de HEILYN, sino que es una reproducción moderna, Fijense en el grabado de Heilyn y London, es muy pobre, incluso el "diente de perro" en el límite, se limita al estampado de punzones. Los limites del costado postizo estan terminados con los dientes. Afectuosamente
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2020, 09:39 PM   #4
Fernando K

Hi

It seems to me that it is not a HEILYN work, but rather a modern reproduction. Notice the engraving of Heilyn and London, it is very poor, even the "dog tooth" in the limit, it is limited to stamping of punches. The limits of the false side are finished with the teeth. Affectionately
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2020, 10:34 PM   #5
Philip

Default overcleaned composite?

From the poor fit between the cupronickel grip and steel body, it looks like the two were not "born together". The steel parts look like they were heavily cleaned, in fact buffed, at some time, note the distribution of pitting which remains in the recessed areas.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 12:55 PM   #6
ALEX

Peter, Fernando, Philip,
Great observations, Thank you! Pistols are not my interest, I was just interested in Yali (as Peter properly noted) handle and why would it be attached to the pistol... I think it is safe to say that we know now Thanks again, guys.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote