Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th February 2024, 04:46 AM   #1
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV View Post
Very interesting Lotfy, thank you for posting these. Do you also have pictures of the blade of the Algerian nimcha?
Yes sir. I am mostly using old photos of when this was being prepared for restoration. The blade is in much better shape now.

There appears to be both import and 'local' production of relatively good quality. I am mainly basing this on the varying finish quality but all seem to maintain the very wide spine and drastic distal taper.
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 04:51 AM   #2
A.alnakkas

This example I sold a while ago. From what I remember the blade was phenomenal. Those short blades I came to handle all share the features I've mentioned before; very wide spines and drastic distal taper but not all look the same. Some have Arabic stamps too.
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 06:22 AM   #3
eftihis

I believe these two are for pirate use also.
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 04:38 PM   #4
TVV

Beautiful and interesting examples Lotfi, thank you for sharing.

Eftihis, the sword and yataghan you show with nimcha grips could have certainly been used in a naval context, and in fact, it is even likely that they were.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 06:04 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV View Post
Beautiful and interesting examples Lotfi, thank you for sharing.

Eftihis, the sword and yataghan you show with nimcha grips could have certainly been used in a naval context, and in fact, it is even likely that they were.
I very much agree, and it seems that Arab swords in these forms were likely used in maritime contexts as the Arabs were of course so prevalent in trade which of course was by sea.

I would like to correct my earlier posts where I showed a sword which I had assumed was one of the 'kitara' swords, which was in fact a Manding saber from Mali.

The first image is the one in question; the 2nd a proper Manding saber.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2024, 12:48 AM   #6
Peter Hudson

Default Just a close look at Moplah blades...

Hello Jim, Your #8 Post shows the clear evidence of several design features probably made through cross regional movement in the Indian Ocean... Here I want to comment upon the broadened blade aspect of such a design movement also shown at #2 By TVV. . Clearly there has been a lot of sword design flow across the Indian Ocean

I have looked through some excellent entries on Forum in this regard and at the web in the case of the following reference https://www.mandarinmansion.com/glossary/moplah-sword centuries gone by.

Key artwork for inclusion here is on the distinctive broad blade of the Moplah...my suggestion being to illustrate how such a blade could well influence swords could have been influenced across the Indian Ocean from the home of the Moplah.. The Malibar Coast.
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Hudson; 13th February 2024 at 01:05 AM.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2024, 08:17 AM   #7
gp

With regards to the Barbary Coast, there is quite a diverse and interesting history as part of it was / concerned the present Moroccan city of Salé , where I have worked for a year in 1980.
It is opposite Rabat , separated by the Bouregreg river and used to be an independent for a while and a cente of the pirates.
Many of whom were Dutch renegades, like Jan Janszoon van Haarlem (AKA Moerad Raïs 1570- 1641).
Enclosed a sword captured by Michiel de Ruyter, most likely in the battle at Salé, approx. 1640-1664, Rijksmuseum NG-NM-10412. I can highly recommand a visit to the city of Salé !
Attached Images

gp is offline   Reply With Quote