Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th December 2008, 12:36 AM   #1
katana

Default Very Expensive ....or have I missed something ??

Hi,
this just finished on eBay.....a strange knife described as Inuit. The blade certainly looks North African ( Bou Saddi knife ?)....that seems to have been re-hilted with antler The scabbard is also the same as a typical Bou Saddi . Have I missed something Its seems an expensive mistake.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=024

Please, anyone got any thoughts?

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Emanuel

You haven't missed anything David. That is indeed a Bou Saada blade with a rehilt job. Somebody got screwed big time

If you look at the bidding history, the winning bidder drove up the bids through constant bidding. Methinks there be foul play here...

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 01:21 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Someone indeed took it 'In'uit .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 01:55 AM   #4
Atlantia

Yup total agreement here guys!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 01:57 AM   #5
asomotif

With today's feedback system on ebay, it might well be the seller that got screwed
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 04:52 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs down

OVER THE YEARS I HAVE SEEN MANY NORTH WEST COAST INDIAN KNIVES MANY WERE VERY WELL MADE FAKES SOME OBVIOUSLY OF RECENT MAKE AND OTHERS VERY WELL ANTIQUED AND ARTIFICIALY AGED AND WORN. I SUSPECT THEY WERE MOSTLY MADE HERE IN NORTH AMERICA MOSTLY BY PEOPLE WHO KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. SO YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND TO HANDLE THESE ITEMS PERSONALLY IF YOU ARE GOING TO COLLECT IN THIS FIELD BECAUSE THEY ARE EXPENSIVE.
THIS KNIFE MAY HAVE BEEN COBBLED TOGETHER HERE IN THE USA OR PERHAPS THERE IS NOW A GROUP MAKEING THEM IN AFRICA, NIGERIA COMES TO MIND AS THEIR ECONOMY SEEMS TO BE BASED ON SCAMS THESE DAYS. IF THIS KNIFE IS A FAKE I SUSPECT WE WILL SEE MORE SUCH ITEMS ON EBAY AS THE SELLER CLEANED UP ON THIS AUCTION.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Lets take a close look at this knife. First the blade and scabbard are from a Bou Saada knife which we all know is from Algerian/Morocco area of Africa. Second the stag/elk hilt shows no patina and the carved bear head final is poorly carved. So my conclusion is this is a composite blade not more than 20-30 yrs old. My other theory is a 19th sailor brought the knife back from North Africa and traded the knife to an Inuit who then altered the knife . You choose which story is for real .

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Some defence for the seller? I got this from the same seller which was roughly correctly described. I paid a lot more than i wanted or expected but have not seen knives like this only somewhat questionable swords. The tip was hanging off so rather than loose it I have gunged it up. So I wonder wether this is really just a case of ignorant guess work.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 28th December 2008 at 06:33 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote