Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st August 2022, 12:22 PM   #1
motan

Default Old Majdali

Hello all,
It has been about 2 years since my last post, but I am still here. I bought this one (first pic.) very cheap in a lot with all kinds of stuff, including a Mah-Jong set, albums and 4 daggers, two of which are modern tourist "reproductions".
I wanted to have one like this for a long time. Mine is not the nicest example because it is small and well-worn and there is considerable damage to the horn. Some of the engravings have almost disappeared, especially on the pommel (not visible). Still, I am happy to have it because I think that it represents the oldest type of Majdali (or Magdali) known to me.
I argue that it dates from the second half of the 19th century and is the prototype of one of the main Majdali types, with heavy, often etched blade and flatter handle (the other being with round hilt and fullered blade). This hypothesis is only that, but it is based on changes in style in the early to mid 20th century and some dated examples.
I have seen several examples of this current type and they are very much alike (see pics). The oldest ones to be marked with a date have a mixture of inlay and brass plates. I have seen about 5 with a date (always Hijri) and all are dated to between late 1890's and 1910. Later examples marked with a date are somewhat younger and without the brass plates. Some of the latter have etching on the blade of Islamic poems or citations. The oldest round handle types are dated to the 1910's (see the one on the right in the pic with 4 daggers). Examples of the types I discuss are shown below.
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2022, 01:32 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi motan,

Always nice to find a hidden gem in an otherwise inauspicious lot. Congrats. Knowledge is a great asset.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote