Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th August 2018, 09:01 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Interesting Balkan Long Gun

Here is a new addition to my collection. Tirri calls this gun Rumelian (see page 157 in his reference book Islamic Weapons). It has the same butt stock and wrist area carving. The barrel is 40" long, tapered round, and about .65 caliber. The flintlock is styled similar to 18th Century French, as was popular with many Ottoman/Balkan guns. And, it's in good working condition as is. Fron the auction photos I thought the mounts (butt plate, trigger guard, barrel bands) might be silver. But when I first received the gun, it appeared to be similar to fire blued iron. But a magnet won't stick to any of the mounts. It's not brass. So I think the mounts are some type of low grade silver (?) But the beautiful fire-blue addition was originally on all the mounts. The evidence is there. Just appears to be worn off from use in the more obvious places. There are 8 barrel bands. 6 identical, 2 different. But all have the blue tracing. The front band is 8" long and surrounds the entire muzzle area. Overall, I'm very happy with this one. An interesting gun you don't often see. And it's in great condition.

The ramrod is missing. But I'll have a new one made. The bore needs cleaned, and a general cleaning elsewhere. I'm pretty sure the barrel on this gun was originall percussion. I'll take the lock off and do some more studying and post again tomorrow.

Meantime, picture-heavy as usual. Hope you enjoy. Any comments most appreciated.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 09:03 PM   #2
rickystl

MORE PICS............
Attached Images

Old 25th August 2018, 09:05 PM   #3
rickystl

STILL MORE PICS.......
Attached Images

Old 25th August 2018, 09:06 PM   #4
rickystl

ONE MORE.......
Attached Images

Old 25th August 2018, 10:32 PM   #5
kahnjar1

A really lovely gun Rick. As you state, Tirri places this style as Rumelian which in todays language, is the region covered by northern Greece, Albania, Macedonia and Bulgaria. You did well!! I wonder if the "blued" effect is tarnish on the silver? Have you tried silver cleaner on a small area?
I have nothing to add to my comments except to say that I think you have a piece in exceptional order for age.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 08:14 AM   #6
Kubur

Hi Rick,

Very nice gun.
I have seen some of them, but yours is perfect.
Don't remove the blue in fact it's black niello work, normaly seen on Caucasian guns...

Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 02:47 PM   #7
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
A really lovely gun Rick. As you state, Tirri places this style as Rumelian which in todays language, is the region covered by northern Greece, Albania, Macedonia and Bulgaria. You did well!! I wonder if the "blued" effect is tarnish on the silver? Have you tried silver cleaner on a small area?
I have nothing to add to my comments except to say that I think you have a piece in exceptional order for age.
Stu
Hi Stu

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I tried a dab of polishing paste and a tiny bit of silver cleaner on a corner of the butt cap surround. Didn't do anything except remove a bit of hidden dirt. So it's not tarnish, per say. But there is evidence that all the metal hardware originally had this treatment when first built. If you notice the barrel bands while covered with this blue/black treatment, the engraving shows through. Very neat effect.

Rick