Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th December 2013, 02:23 PM   #1
youngbladerunner

Default Indian Sword for identification and is it wootz?

Had this sword awhile now and havnt managed to find any of the same form or proportions. What is it? Is it just a tulwar with unusual bladed? Also id like to know if it is wootz and if not what is it. ive tried to photograph the patern best i can but its hard to catch the rite light. The patern is the entire length of the blade and does look like a wootz piece i have but not exactly the same. the blade is 4 inches across at the widest point, Blade length 63 inches, 77 inches overall. Theres also some text on the disc pommel but its faded and translating it i imagine would be very hard but would be intrested to know if anyone can from what remains.
Attached Images

youngbladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 05:19 AM   #2
laEspadaAncha

Hi YBR,

Your sword is referred to as a khanda (googling the term or searching the forum will provide you with lots of examples of similar swords). The blade does appear to be wootz...

Also, I think you mean to state the measurements in cm, not inches, correct? A 5-foot blade with a 14-inch hilt would be a sword of gigantic proportions...
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote