Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th August 2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Powder flask for identification

Have get this small powder flask, it was stated that it is from parchmenty leather. It is 17 cm high. I have read or heard that it was usual in some regions to use camel scrotums for powder flaks and the statement that it is from parchmenty leather let me assume in this direction. I still wait to get it in my hands so here only the picture from the auction house.
Would be someone able to tell me from where this powder flask coming and if I could be correct? Age? All other comments are welcome.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 06:30 PM   #2
trenchwarfare

I had one, nearly identical. It was stated to be from Afghanistan, and made from a camel scrotum. I have one, that is in the style, found in Southeast Asia. Looks to be from a scrotum as well. Monkey?
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
laEspadaAncha

Please God let this become a scrotum-based arms and armor thread...

I have a roo scrotum (in which I put a couple marbles) with which I used to slap my friends and nary a person to share it with... well, other than said friends, with whom I've "shared" the scrotum.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Noahs Ark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Have get this small powder flask, it was stated that it is from parchmenty leather. It is 17 cm high. I have read or heard that it was usual in some regions to use camel scrotums for powder flaks and the statement that it is from parchmenty leather let me assume in this direction. I still wait to get it in my hands so here only the picture from the auction house.
Would be someone able to tell me from where this powder flask coming and if I could be correct? Age? All other comments are welcome.

Salaams Sajen, It is said that when the great flood occured and Noah was collecting up all the animals some donkeys turned up as did a load of camels but being rather busy Noah on collecting their genitals for safekeeping at the entrance got them both mixed up.. so that .. on leaving after the flood... He issued them back to the wrong animals. Thus it is today that camels have rediculously small parts and donkeys have massive ones !

It's true also that camel scrotums are ideal as powder flasks.

"The Old Bazaar" describes one as Quote "A very unusual powder flask made from a camel's scrotum and penis sheath. It is stitched together similar to a baseball with what appears to be sinew. There are patterns and textures embossed into the skin, and there appears to be Islamic calligraphy as well. This piece retains all of it's original hardware including the chain, belt clip, and end cap. Ca 1850- 1880 This unique flask measures 13.75" X 4.25" and weighs 9 ounces". Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 08:00 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
I had one, nearly identical. It was stated to be from Afghanistan, and made from a camel scrotum. I have one, that is in the style, found in Southeast Asia. Looks to be from a scrotum as well. Monkey?
Thank you,

the auction house stated that it is from North Africa but I doubt already since my memory told me as well Afghanistan. Great help!

Regards,

Detlef
Old 30th August 2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by laEspadaAncha
Please God let this become a scrotum-based arms and armor thread...

I have a roo scrotum (in which I put a couple marbles) with which I used to slap my friends and nary a person to share it with... well, other than said friends, with whom I've "shared" the scrotum.
Lol!
Old 30th August 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Sajen, It is said that when the great flood occured and Noah was collecting up all the animals some donkeys turned up as did a load of camels but being rather busy Noah on collecting their genitals for safekeeping at the entrance got them both mixed up.. so that .. on leaving after the flood... He issued them back to the wrong animals. Thus it is today that camels have rediculously small parts and donkeys have massive ones !

It's true also that camel scrotums are ideal as powder flasks.

"The Old Bazaar" describes one as Quote "A very unusual powder flask made from a camel's scrotum and penis sheath. It is stitched together similar to a baseball with what appears to be sinew. There are patterns and textures embossed into the skin, and there appears to be Islamic calligraphy as well. This piece retains all of it's original hardware including the chain, belt clip, and end cap. Ca 1850- 1880 This unique flask measures 13.75" X 4.25" and weighs 9 ounces". Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Salaams Ibrahiim,

nice story!

Is there in "The Old Bazaar" also written from where this flask coming?

Regards,

Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 30th August 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 31st August 2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Salaams Ibrahiim,

nice story!

Is there in "The Old Bazaar" also written from where this flask coming?

Regards,

Detlef

Salaams, To be precise see picture !! however Persia is mentioned but I also think Indo Persia, Afghanistan and for Arabia etc etc
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 31st August 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote