Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th October 2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question A Question About Gonjos

Often I see a feature on some keris which has puzzled me for some time now .

Why are certain gonjos lifted away from the wilah at the tail or greneng end ?
This feature must have some meaning or be of a certain style ; can anyone help with the how and why of this ?
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Henk

Just a guess Rick, but could such a ganja be a replacement?
Pamor doesn't flow over from the blade to the ganja. Next to that the ganja doesn't fit properly on the blade like it is one matching piece.
I never realized it in that way, but mostly when the ganja fits properly on the blade the pamor also is one with the blade. The ganja is made from the same piece of forged metal and therefore the pamor should match the blade.

Interesting question, would like to hear the opinion of our experts.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 07:07 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Henk ,
That's something to consider ; but also when you look at the ricikan (correct term?) of both kerises they are similar even though one is Javanese or Maduran and the other seems Sumatran (cross pollination?).

About the lack of pamor on the Jawa piece; it is a very old blade and if I recall correctly from a past discussion of this one possibly from the Sultan Agung period; also again if I recall correctly there was some mention of a prohibition during that time of pamored gonjos or of openly displaying the pamor of one's keris .

Could this be a feature of dapur; or does dapur not cover the area of the gonjo ?
Old 6th October 2006, 07:14 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Rick. I believe dapur does cover the area of the gonjo as well, but perhaps others have a different take on that. On the issue of the gonjo having the same pamor as the blade, i don't think this is necessarily the case. There was, if i remember correctly, in certain areas, even a prohibition on pamor on the gonjo of non-court keris.
As to the original question at hand, could this not be just the effects of age and acid washing. That has always been my assumption. I have never seen a newly made keris with this "feature". I don't think it is intentional and i don't think it is necessarily a sign of a replacement gonjo either.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 07:16 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

BTW, i love the swastika patern on that Javanese hilt.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 07:22 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi David , I believe it's a Maduran ukiran; sorry I didnt show it in its entirety.

I'm just not sure if this is the result of warangan; the Sumatran keris does not look heavily eroded enough for this to have ocurred .
Attached Images