Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th August 2021, 05:52 PM   #1
Yvain

Default Dagger from Cameroon

Hi everyone !

This little dagger was actually a nice surprise, as I got it in a lot that I bought for another item in it.

The grip is made out of patinated white wood, the scabbard has a peculiar construction, as it is made of a single piece of shaped wood, wrapped in rawhide stitched at the back ; there is also a nice strap made out of grey, black and purple textile that I believe to be traditionally woven (love how it is tied to the scabbard, it reminds me of the wrapping on katana handles).

The blade is really nice, most likely forged, with a discreet central ridge, it is also very sharp. I do think it is made out of locally smelted iron, as there is clear signs of delamination in some places.

I believe that it may have been made in Cameroun, perhaps amongst the Haussa ethnic group, but I would love to hear your opinion on the matter. I'm also guessing that it might be older than the daggers of this style that are usually seen, but I don't have specific date in mind (maybe between 1900 and 1930 ?).
Attached Images

Yvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2021, 08:42 PM   #2
colin henshaw

A good honest little dagger, thanks for posting. Probably Hausa or nearby.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote