Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th December 2011, 10:00 PM   #1
cannonmn

Default Double-dog Dolphins on 16th C German Cannon Barrels

from H.Müller, Deutschegeschützrorhe 1400-1750, pp. 133:

Am häfigsten waren unter den Doppfelfiguren Delphinköpfe und Hundeköpfe, die an einem Gegenstand zerren. Nürnberger Geschützgießer haben bei der Verbreitung des Henkels mit den beiden Hundeköpfen eine wesentliche Rolle gespielt. Nicht nur Peter Mulich goß Henkel, sondern auch Endres Pegnitzer d.Ä. Beide Meister führten Aufträge für den sächischen Hof aus. Peter Mulich siedelte nach sachsen über und goß dort zahlreiche Rorhe. Die groß Verbreitung der Henkel mit Doppfelfiguren in Sachsen, besonders durch die verscheidenen Stückgießender der Freiburger Gießerfamilie Hilger, dürfte auf diesen Nürnburger Einfluß zurückgehen. Bernhard Rathgen vermutet eine Übername die Hündeköpfe Peter Mulichs durch den Frankfurter Meister Stephan.
-------------------------------------------

and my sloppy Googlation:

What most people were among the Doppfelfiguren dolphin heads and dogs' heads, the drag on an object. Nuremberg gun founders have played in the spread of the handle with the two dogs' heads a major role. Not only poured Mulich Peter Henkel, but also Endres Pegnitzer Elder Both masters of orders led to the Saxon court. Peter Mulich moved to Saxony and poured over numerous barrels there. The large spread of Henkel Doppfelfiguren in Saxony, especially by the decease of the Freiburg piece Pour Santander casting family Hilger, should go back to this Nürnburg influence. Bernhard Rathgen suspects a takeover by the dogs' heads Peter Mulichs the Frankfurter Master Stephen.
----------------------------------------------

If anyone can repair the poor English version I would appreciate it.
cannonmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

John, I used to know Heinrich 'Kanonen-Müller' (Cannon-Müller) from the former Berlin Zeughaus when he was still alive. The book is his promotion paper. The Googlation you presented is pretty senseless, I'm afraid.
I'll post my version very soon.
Good night from Bavaria,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Here is my translation:

Most popular among the double figures were dolphins' and dogs' heads tearing at an object. Nuremberg cannon founders played an important role in the distribution of dogs head handles. Not only Peter Mulich founded handles but so did Endres Pegnitzer the Elder. Both masters carried out orders for the Saxon court. Peter Mulich moved to Saxony, where he founded many barrels. The wide distribution of double headed handles, especially by the various gun founders of the Freiburg founding family Hilger, is supposed to be based on this Nurembeg influence. Bernhard Rathgen believed that Peter Mulich's dogs' heads were adopted by the Frankfurt master Stephan.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
cannonmn

Thanks very much Michael! I only got this book a few days ago but am trying to fish useful information out of it. The photos are very good even if not in color.
cannonmn is offline   Reply With Quote