Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:30 PM   #1
shayde78

Default Cut-steel smallsword (not mourning)

Well, I had to wait until the afternoon to post my most recent acquisition because I am fairly sure this is not a 'mourning' sword. That said, if this had been blackened, it would surly qualify. I wanted to include the word 'mourning' in the title/post to help out the search engine for future reference.

As an early holiday gift to myself, I stumbled upon this cut-steel small sword with (what I believe) is the complete chain guard and a robust/heavy triangular blade. To me, it is a beautiful as any Christmas ornament!

Total length: 36"
Blade length: 29.25"
Guard: 4.06" x 2.80"
Quillions: 4.5"
Hilt (entire): 6.5"
Weight: 1lb 2.75oz.
POB: 4" forward of the guard

I had always thought of these (having only seen pictures in books) as the dainty jewelry of arms. All flash and no substance, as it were. However, holding this in hand, this is a substantial weapon that would be entirely effective for its purposes (albeit, the reach is a little wanting). I had not known of blades of this profile that are flat sided triangular - not hallow-ground on the sides. This is like a giant knitting needle, but deadly sharp.

The hilt has the typical faceted nail heads arraigned in a less typical spiral layout that covers the grip and extends onto the urn-shaped pommel. The pas d'ane are truly vestigial, serving merely a decorative function as a nod to conventional form.

I have not been able to find a picture of a chain of this nature. It consists of two complete strands extending from pommel to guard, with additional 'tassels' at the pommel end. Overall, these seem reminiscent of a swordknot executed in steel.

This example also came with a partially intact scabbard. The metal throat has nice scalloped details, and of course, it is designed to accept the unique blade.

I found one of similar (although not identical) hilt design sold originally by Meyer & Mortimer, 36 Conduit St., London. Still, I've not seen one that had this unique chain, and even the blade on the one I mention is similar is described as 'hallow ground'.

So, what are your thoughts? My very basic understanding is, given all the features noted above, this would date from 1790-1810). Would you agree?

As always, I appreciate your feedback.

edited to include weight and point-of-balance (POB)
Attached Images

Last edited by shayde78; 23rd December 2020 at 12:01 AM.
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote