Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd February 2011, 02:02 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default And Yet Another Bolo

Hello everyone,
I won this on epray a couple of weeks ago and thought that I would post it hoping that I am not boring everyone to death with picture after picture of bolos. I was told by the seller that this item came from the estate of the family of Corporal David A. Bruneau, Company A, 1st Montana Volunteer Infantry.
His regiment arrived in Manila, Philippine Islands on August 24, 1898.
The First Montana remained in the Philippines until August 23, 1899, fighting in the Philippine-American War.
The unit arrived back in the United States on September 22, 1899 and was mustered out in San Francisco, California on October 17, 1899. No paper work came with it to prove where it was sold at the estate sale so I have no real evidence that it actually belonged to him, only what I was told by the seller . Still, all in all it is a very nice example in very nice condition. All comments are very welcome.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 02:13 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A NICE BOLO IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO RESEARCH THE UNIT MENTIONED AND THE TIME PERIOD TO SEE IF SUCH A PERSON WAS ASSIBNED TO THE PHILIPPINES AT THAT TIME. IF YOU CAN FIND THE INFO I WOULD CONSIDER IT GOOD PROVENANCE AND PRINT IT OUT. UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START LOOKING FOR MILITARY INFORMATION. PERHAPS SOMEONE WHO HAS DONE SUCH RESEARCH CAN OFFER SOME SUGGESTIONS.
GOOGLE IS ABOUT THE EXTENT OF MY COMPUTER SEARCH KNOWLEGE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Vandoo,
Thank you very much for your comments on the bolo. I have already done as you suggested and researched the mans name and that is how I found the information above. The seller only gave me the owners name and rank and that he was in the 1st Montana Volunteer Infantry during the Spanish American War. The rest of the information on when he arrived and was mustered out I found here. http://www.spanamwar.com/1stmontanaroster.htm Again, thank you for your help.

Robert
Old 3rd February 2011, 04:07 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

It is a Tagalog piece. The tang should go through and the blade shape is Tagalog. The hilt is horn, perhaps albino carabao horn?

Congratulations!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Jose, And thank you very much for the information. The tang does extend through the hilt and as far as the horn on the hilt goes, it is very light in color but not as light as some that I have seen and have on other items. I thought it might be albino carabao horn but wasn't quite sure until you made your comment about it. One of the things that impressed me about this was how well that it had been taken care of, except for the scabbard. The ones that I normally find are almost always covered in rust and the blades are usually bent and pretty well beaten up. I would guess that this must have been a valued keepsake to the owner. Thank you again.

Robert
Old 3rd February 2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Pukka Bundook

Very nice clean piece Robert!

May I ask a question?
A Bolo and talibon, ...Is the difference the guard?..or are the terms interchangeable?
Thanks for your time!

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Some how this does not strike me as a late 1800s piece seems newer 1930s-45 I would think?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Richard, I believe that bolo is a kind of a covers all name. While a talibon has chisel ground blade and is from the Visayans the one that I posted above has a V ground blade and from Luzon. I do believe however that it would be acceptable to call a talibon a bolo. I'm not sure if the correct name for the item that I posted would be an Itak or Matulis? If I am incorrect with my explanation I am sure that someone with a better understanding of the correct terms for these will correct me.

Lew, As far as age goes I am was only going by the information that I received from the seller. If it is true or not, who knows for sure? I have seen this style of knife/sword before that were attributed to the late 1890s but who knows for sure if they were dated correctly? Thank you both for your interest and comments.

Robert
Old 4th February 2011, 12:02 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

I think that some would call this an itak. Bolo works as well though.

The Talibon however has a pronounced "bellie", chiseled edge, and the hilt varies, but often of a particular shape, especially the early ones.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 01:19 AM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Robert, I had one of these that was provenanced to that era; it was in pretty good shape like yours .
It came with two other pieces that were definitely of the proper age .
So it's a possibility .

Bill M. wound up with them .

(that's not pitting; it's a crudely forged pattern welded blade)
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 03:15 AM   #11
migueldiaz

robert, thanks for sharing the pics and the probable history of the bolo! (and i for one will always be excited at looking at your bolo pics).

i too am of the opinion that it is from the phil-am war era.

i just came from the boondocks of cebu island in central philippines. i was able to interview the heirs of pulahan 'insurgents' who fought the americans the longest during the said war. the old folks i interviewed were the very grandchildren of the pulahan 'rebels' vic hurley wrote about in jungle patrol.

if somebody from cebu normal university is reading this, thanks by the way for the kind assistance in making the research possible.

during the trip i was able to see: (a) a new cebu sundang [see pic of the lone blade i'm holding]; (b) several antique sundangs [the trio, plus the one on the waist of the old lady], and (c) an antique talibong of the same age as "b" [am still thinking whether i can show the pic, as they were wary initially of showing it to me, being an outsider].

but first, a word on terminologies of phil. swords, which tend to get confusing always (and this list below pertains just to central cebu highlands, as other regions may have minor variations in their use of the terms) --

sundang - refers to any work bolo that one carries everyday for work to the field

(and bolo is a generic term for any philippine utility blade or war sword, especially those found in northern philippines [commonly called 'luzon')] and in central philippines [a group of many islands commonly called the 'visayas'])

pinuti or talibong or sabli (these three are the same) - refers to the same basic bolo design as the sundang, but the piece is kept inside the house, for use in case of conflicts only

pinuti's [pee-NOO-tee] root word is puti [poo-TEE], or white. and it's called pinuti because the blade's entire surface is always polished and the blade always kept sharp, being a prized possession.

talibong [TAH-lee-bong, as in gong] is derived from the word to kill or destroy, as far as i recall when i checked an online cebuano dictionary.

sabli [SAHB-lee] is derived from the spanish word for saber, sable.

based on the samples i saw, the difference between a sundang and a pinuti/talibong/sabli (p/t/s) are - (a) the sundang is always a little shorter; (b) the sundang's cutting edge is the only one that is 'white' (i.e., shiny), while for a p/t/s, the whole blade glistens, thus 'pinuti', or literally made white and shiny; (c) even though a p/t/s is very old, it still looks fresh compared to a sundang of the same age, and that's because the p/t/s is not exposed to the elements and not often used; and (d) the p/t/s's hilt and scabbard are much more ornately carved than a sundang.

i guess i'm going all over the place

but back to the topic on assessing a sword's age based on external appearance, i have no doubt as to lew's and to the others' skill in making an assessment.

my only point is that if the sword is well-kept and based on my recent personal observations, a very old philippine sword can indeed maintain its almost pristine look when it is looked after very well.

i always remember what nonoy tan told me when he was allowed to take a look at the smithsonian's antique bolo collection. nonoy said that if one didn't know anything about when the sword was collected, one would be fooled into thinking that they were all recently made.
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 04:01 AM   #12
Robert
EAAF Staff

Rick, Thank you very much for your thoughts and the pictures. I just wish that I had known that you were parting with the three that you show in the picture as I would have loved to have added them to my own collection.

Migueldiaz, Thank you very much for your insight into the names and for the pictures of the Cebu Island highlands edged weapons and the links. As usual I have copied this for later reference. I particularly like the photo of the "young lady" and wonder how long that she has had and used the sundang that she is carrying? One last thing, could you email me a copy of the one picture that you did not post as I would be very interested in seeing it.

Here is another acquisition of mine that has not arrived yet. The pictures are from the auction site. I have not seen a hilt like this one before so any information on it would be greatly appreciated. I would guess that it is from Luzon even though I do not know if the tang extends completely through the hilt or not "as it is not shown clearly enough in the pictures to tell for sure". All I know is that the blade is 18-1/4 inches long and supposedly about 3/8 of an inch thick at the hilt so I would imagine that the total length would be around 23 inches. I also wonder if it might not have had a metal collar around the grip right behind the guard a some point in time? Again my thanks to everyone for their help.

Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 4th February 2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 4th February 2011, 12:04 PM   #13
migueldiaz

Robert, thanks for the comments.

Your new sword looks like it's chisel-ground (thus, Visayan as we all know). I have a sword with a similar blade profile, which is also Visayan (pic is below).

As for the hilt, there's a Visayan blade (Samar to be exact) in Krieger's catalogue with a similar form:

"Plate 13 -- Hand weapons for cutting, piercing, and stabbing: Knives and daggers. No. 1. Dagger; triangular sectioned, curved, and pointed blade; single cutting edge; carved wood handle. Quinapundar, Samar Island."

As an aside, triangular sectioned means that it's the dreaded tres cantos (three corners), as we call it locally. Is it true that such blade cross-section was banned by the Geneva Convention, as it's very hard to sew up the wound created? Heard this from an expert Pawn Stars got, in one episode

As for the "young lady", she said that her sundang has been with her for the last 50 to 60 years or so. That's also one thing I noticed in the area -- the sundang they got when they were in their teens and twenties continue to be the ones they use up to now.

Thus through years of grinding, the blades' present width compared with the scabbard width has a huge disparity by this time (see pic).
Attached Images

Old 4th February 2011, 04:11 PM   #14
Sajen

Hello Robert,

two interesting new aquisitions for your ever growing collection and thank you that you part them with us. Never will get bored to see your Bolos.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 04:34 PM   #15
carlos

Here is another acquisition of mine that has not arrived yet. The pictures are from the auction site. I have not seen a hilt like this one before so any information on it would be greatly appreciated. I would guess that it is from Luzon even though I do not know if the tang extends completely through the hilt or not "as it is not shown clearly enough in the pictures to tell for sure". All I know is that the blade is 18-1/4 inches long and supposedly about 3/8 of an inch thick at the hilt so I would imagine that the total length would be around 23 inches. I also wonder if it might not have had a metal collar around the grip right behind the guard a some point in time? Again my thanks to everyone for their help.

Robert[/QUOTE]

Hello Robert!!
Congratulations for this pair of beauties!! I have one knife with a hit similar to your second adquisition, But whe I bought it seller only tell me that was african

I wish you enjoy this weapons and thanks for the post!1
best regards
carlos
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 07:25 PM   #16
Robert
EAAF Staff

Migueldiaz, Boy do I feel silly. I was so interested in the hilt that I failed to even notice the fact that the blade was chisel ground. I think that I might need a new pair of glasses.
WOW, 50-60 years. Now that's getting your moneys worth on anything especially a general utility knife. I hate to think how many kitchen knives alone that I have gone through in the last 40 years.

Sajen, Thank you for your kind words. Seeing that bolos seem to be about 90% of what I post I was worried that the members here might be getting tired of looking at them. Again my thanks.

Carlos, Thank you too for your kind words. If you would, could you please post a picture that shows all of your wonderful knife?

One more question on the last item that I posted. Seeing as this is from the Visayan would it be refered to as a tenegre or something else?

Robert
Old 4th February 2011, 07:56 PM   #17
carlos

Yes, of course!!n those are thee pictures from knife.
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 08:39 PM   #18
Robert
EAAF Staff

Carlos, Thank you very much for sharing these wonderful pieces. Having the scabbards for them both is especially nice. On more than half of the ones that I find the scabbards are either completely missing or in really poor condition. IF you EVER decide to part with them please keep me in mind as I would love to add them both to my collection.

Here is a small Visayans knife that I just received. It has a beautiful Kamagong wood hilt even though it is roughly carved. It has a collection number on the hilt that reads L300 but I have no idea of what or who's collection it might have been from.

Robert
Attached Images

Old 5th February 2011, 05:10 AM   #19
migueldiaz

Carlos, thanks for posting the pics of your Phil. blades. Nice!

Robert, that's a nice plamingko. That's how the Visayans call their traditional utility knife, and your plamingko surely follows the typical format.
Old 5th February 2011, 05:48 AM   #20
Robert
EAAF Staff

Migueldiaz, Again my thanks for the information on my new "plamingko". When it arrived it did come with a scabbard but I have not yet been able to remove the layers of scotch tape that it is covered in. The tape is very old and the adhesive is attached firmly to the wood. I am afraid that paint remover might be my last resort in removing it. Below is a picture of what it looked like when it arrived.

Robert
Attached Images

Old 5th February 2011, 12:53 PM   #21
migueldiaz

Robert, thanks for the pic. I think it's rare that you'll find old plamingkos still with scabbards. Please do show us detailed pics of the scabbard later. Thanks in advance.