Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th December 2020, 01:23 AM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

W W! Thank you folks! And great questions.

Kwiatek: many thanks for the translation.

Ian: Well I have tried this plaiting technique before and to do what they did here is more than plaiting but not weaving either. Also the inside is hollow, so not sure if they cut it in half, or what. Wish I had an answer for you.

Regarding the "nicks" in the inlay - that's original. With my techniques I don't do that. However, I have seen this on different Ottoman and other Middle Eastern inlaid blades before. It is the method of striking hard when engraving, especially when making curves with a big chisel. These are the hammer strikes as the large chisel digs into the blade. Then with the inlaying of softer metal, the softer metal fills into the hammer/chisel marks. I guess this method can have the effect of keeping the inlay more stable by gripping it better. This is my guess anyway, though not my method.

Asomotif: Inlay is not that easy. Looks and sounds simple but it is not. Many times one would only make the grooves and then inlay, but what you talked about will happen or they pop out. There is a whole process and many tricks that would take too long to explain here. I have been doing this for years after lots of research and study. Even some Philippine swords with original inlay had the inlay pop out. I have had to improve and modify techniques to where now I can't even get my own inlay out (accidentally inlaid a blade with some bright brass instead of silver ). So don't be down on yourself - sounds easy but I garantee you it is NOT! BTW - don't use brass if the original is in gold - brass is stiffer and much much harder to work than gold (as well as being harder than sterling). Only thing harder than brass inlay is steel inlay!

NOTE: some little tiny areas of inlay I did not attempt in fear that I would dislodge the rest of the original inlay - something that can happen easily (and does if not careful - I know from experience )

Oh BTW - I was wrong. It took me not 8 months but 5 months to restore it (double checked the auction date).

Last edited by Battara; 20th December 2020 at 07:31 AM.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 07:46 PM   #2
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I had to teach myself how to do Turkish silver filigree (which is not on Youtube nor is anyone teaching it ). It was a lot of trial and error (more error) and I had to create my own techniques.

Respect and a deep bow to you for your filigree work, especially as it was autodidact /self-taught

Filigree, an art found mostly by seafaring nations; the Dutch coast (Sealand), Portugal and moreover mostly the Mediterranean.
Especially in their traditional ( female and wedding) jewelry of which I am a SME ever since I met the gold and silversmiths when I lived in Morocco 1980/81 and later in the former Yugoslavia 1985/87.
Hence also their decoration of arms ( cold arms and later guns; pistols and rifles) show these magnificent pieces of art..
An art which sadly has been replaced more and more by machine made items based upon costs reductions and taste ( fashion changes) during the last decades.

Nevertheless some good news for you: there still are some "majstor" (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian for master ; originating from the ancient system of apprentice journeyman master) in Bosnia and Dalmatia (Southern Croatia) who still master the art and are able to assist and advise you.

In Sarajevo: I can advice you to look for them in the old town center called Baščaršija and in and around the Ferhadija street. Be sure to check you are dealing with a Bosnian master and not some trader....

In Dubrovnik you also can find them in the old town between the city walls (used to film GOT) in the Stradun ( mainstreet)

If they hear what you did with this yataghan and show them your pics, I am sure you will get all the support & info you need, even more for future endeavours and projects ....Good luck !
or send me a PM and I am more than happy to oblige

Last edited by gp; 30th December 2020 at 09:28 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 11:05 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

How wonderful GP! I'm so glad it is not a dead art. I have always admired their work, which I find more challenging than modern Russian, etc. filigree, though their filigree is very good.

Thank you for your offer of help and may just take you up on that.

And again thank you - all of my metal work and restoration work is self-taught. Not easy but I never had the money nor time to apprentice or go to school for training.

BTW - When I was in Fez Morocco (2007), I was able to watch the brass, copper, and silver smiths at their crafts while spending time in the Medina. I said to myself that one day when I grow up I would learn how to do similar work.

Still so much to learn.
Old 31st December 2020, 08:43 PM   #4
gp

here some pics of antique filigree from Bosnia; a bichaq and a belt
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2020, 08:45 PM   #5
gp

and some pics that the art is still alive and being made to the present day, first some jewelry from Sarajevo
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2020, 08:48 PM   #6
gp

and secondly from Southern Dalmatia ( Konavje and Dubrovnik) where these earrings are still made and given to the girls ( as I did for my daughter years ago when she became 16...)
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 31st December 2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 31st December 2020, 11:51 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Very nice! Thank you!