Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd May 2016, 10:12 PM   #31
scinde

Default pattern forged blades

Hi Ariel,

Thanks for reply. I basic terms I was aware of the fact that the surface of the blade must be etched to reveal the grain structure however, the main thrust of my question was in relation to how the blade should be prepared for etching, and what chemicals or agents should be used to etch the metal.

Gordon
scinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:51 PM   #32
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinde
Hi Ariel,

Thanks for reply. I basic terms I was aware of the fact that the surface of the blade must be etched to reveal the grain structure however, the main thrust of my question was in relation to how the blade should be prepared for etching, and what chemicals or agents should be used to etch the metal.

Gordon
These are good questions, and a forum search will probably show at least several threads that explain the materials and the process. For someone like me, who has no advanced knowledge of chemistry, the following have worked:
- Clean the blade with soap and water and dry it out, then clean it again with alcohol to remove any residue of dirt, wax, oil or whatever may have been applied to it in the past;
- Dilute wine vinegar in warm water in 1:4 ratio of vinegar to water;
- Use the mild acid to dip the blade into and leave for half an hour, then check for a pattern, or, if the blade is too long and you do not have an appropriate size container, rub in the acid and see if a pattern starts to appear.

There are other acids, which would probably produce better results, but vinegar is easy to obtain and not really dangerous (no toxic fumes and if you get it on yourself, you won't be harmed), which is why I have opted for it.

Sincerely,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:19 PM   #33
Sajen

Difficult question, some people etch with vinegar like Teodor describe, others use only Ferrichlorid but there are various other etching agents. Most of the time collectors swear by their technic as only good one.
I think that different steel react better with one or the other. And it depend on the wished result.
I personally etch as well with vinegar similar as described in up but heat the etchant and blade, the reaction is faster and deeper.

Of course you get better results when the blade is fine polished and free from rust so far possible.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 03:21 PM   #34
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinde
Hi,

Quite new to this group, and not exactly a reply, but I would appreciate knowing the best method or process of testing a blade, to establish whether it is patterned or just plain. Thanks in advance.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

a cheap and simple way to test a blade is to hold it under hot running water (must be hot enough, to burn your hand). If it is mechanical damascus, one can recognize the structure clearly after a few seconds.

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 08:09 PM   #35
scinde

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
These are good questions, and a forum search will probably show at least several threads that explain the materials and the process. For someone like me, who has no advanced knowledge of chemistry, the following have worked:
- Clean the blade with soap and water and dry it out, then clean it again with alcohol to remove any residue of dirt, wax, oil or whatever may have been applied to it in the past;
- Use the mild acid to dip the blade into and leave for half an hour, then check for a pattern, or, if the blade is too long and you do not have an appropriate size container, rub in the acid and see if a pattern starts to appear.

There are other acids, which would probably produce better results, but vinegar is easy to obtain and not really dangerous (no toxic fumes and if you get it on yourself, you won't be harmed), which is why I have opted for it.

Sincerely,
Teodor
Hi Teador,

Thanks very much, that's good information, and as you say quite safe. Not possible to use a container, so I'll opt for applying the solution by hand.

I appreciate your assistance.

Gordon
Old 24th May 2016, 08:15 PM   #36
scinde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Difficult question, some people etch with vinegar like Teodor describe, others use only Ferrichlorid but there are various other etching agents. Most of the time collectors swear by their technic as only good one.
I think that different steel react better with one or the other. And it depend on the wished result.
I personally etch as well with vinegar similar as described in up but heat the etchant and blade, the reaction is faster and deeper.

Of course you get better results when the blade is fine polished and free from rust so far possible.

Regards,
Detlef
Hi Delef,

Many thanks to you also, and I do understand what you say as regards the temperature of the object and etchant; I'll opt for vinegar and see what appears if anything??

Regards,

Gordon
Old 24th May 2016, 08:21 PM   #37
scinde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_M
Hi Gordon,

a cheap and simple way to test a blade is to hold it under hot running water (must be hot enough, to burn your hand). If it is mechanical damascus, one can recognize the structure clearly after a few seconds.

Roland
Hi Roland,

Very interesting and helpful; it seems a combination of heating the blade with hot water and applying the vinegar solution will produce the desired result if there's anything to be seen.

Thanks for this additional information.

Regards,

Gordon
Old 19th April 2023, 03:24 PM   #38
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV View Post

1) Have you tried acetone as a cleaner? Or is there a downside or chemical reaction I haven't anticipated?

2)Why dilute the acid? It is only 5 or 7% to begin with? Is this to increase the working time? IF you are doing the brush on method, would you leave it undiluted?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2023, 05:03 PM   #39
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
1) Have you tried acetone as a cleaner? Or is there a downside or chemical reaction I haven't anticipated?
I was just thinking the same; a professional arms restorer ( to several museums) did advise me the same regarding my collection:
to clean use first acetone and secondly renaissance wax.

My experence: it does work excellently on my yataghans, bichaqs and few Indonesian cold weapons I do have.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2023, 11:10 PM   #40
Ren Ren

I am impressed! This is one of two amazing swords from Aceh that I have seen!

The first sword I saw had the original old English mark under languet .
Ren Ren is offline   Reply With Quote