Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2020, 02:32 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Bone handle butcher knife

In post #7, the top example with bone handle:
As Mark noted, the blade on p.55 ("Native American Weapons" , Colin Taylor) is very similar.
In "Firearms, traps, and Tools of the Mountain Man" (Carl P.Russell, 1967, p.197, 49a) is a knife with blade similar to these, and is listed as a "...battered and rusty big butcher knife illustrated in figure 49a and was taken from an Indian grave. It is now in the U.S. National Museum where records refer to it merely as 'bone handled knife; J.H.Devereaux. The haft is 5" long; the blade is 11" long and 1 1/2" wide. The broken point has been rounded".

It is noted further that in 1822-23, the U.S.Indian Trade Office , George Town, D.C. in its orders listed 50 dozen 'white bone knives' like this one.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 04:16 AM   #2
M ELEY

Hello Colin and thank you for responding to the thread. Yes, you are absolutely correct that there are many fakes out there, but 95% of them are the pipe tomahawks, which fetch thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars. Spike tomahawks are also faked on occasion, but outside of diehard collectors, many don't register these as 'true tomahawks'. The faked ones typically have false patina or modern rust. The fakers use old tool heads that they grind down to fit the right shapes. What remains is a minefield of misunderstanding, axes that AREN"T tomahawks but resemble them, foreign look-a-likes, etc. I find what helps me is understanding what isn't a tomahawk, look at those traits and compare them with examples I come across for comparison. Again, I'm no expert, but feel comfortable that most of my examples are solid. That being said, just because they are spike tomahawk weapons doesn't necessarily mean they were used by natives. That, as you pointed out, requires provenance. In any case, I won't deny this is (like boarding axes!) a slippery slope of collecting. Ten years ago, I had three other examples that I ruled out as look-alike and thus got rid of them-

Last edited by M ELEY; 30th December 2020 at 07:41 PM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 04:19 AM   #3
M ELEY

Hello David. Thank you so much for posting that piece! Yes, I had heard that boarding axes sometimes wound up in Native hands. It makes total sense, as both trade spike axes and boarding axes resemble each other and are contemporary. Likewise, one can see situations where sailors would encounter coastal tribes and make trades. I've even seen one documented boarding ax made up with brass trade tacks and sinew grip. Pretty fascinating!
Old 30th December 2020, 04:33 AM   #4
M ELEY

Hello Jim! Wow, do you have all of these sources? I'm still working on getting my hands on several of the sources you mention here. I'm making a copy of this thread for my own records, so thanks for that! I greatly appreciate the information you provided to support these pieces. I am still looking for a copy of Peterson's tomahawk book, which I hear is exceptional. Thanks also for posting a pic of that knife. I was apt to believe my example might be either a frontiersman versus Indian piece until I saw Taylor's book. After I saw several native examples including this one, I'm leaning more towards the latter now!
Old 9th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #5
Hombre

I find this thread extremely interesting... Tomahawks and Bowie knives... Unfortunately it is not easy to find books about the topic and when you do, you must order from the U.S.A and that will not be cheap...
Here are a few books I have about the tomahawk... have a few about the Bowie knife too..

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
Attached Images

Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2021, 04:33 AM   #6
M ELEY

Thank you very much for these references, Stephan! I have that last one and hope to pick up a copy of Baldwin's soon. Of course, Peterson would be the jewel to the crown, but as it is out of print, the copies go for obscene prices!! Again, my thanks for these recommendations-
Old 13th February 2023, 01:34 AM   #7
M ELEY

Default Early cast head spike tomahawk ax

My newest acquisition and one seeped in controversy for more than one reason.

First off, this is a ca.1830-40 cast head spike axe made in the pattern of the so-called 'Underhill Tool Company' axes ca.1840. The Underhill Tool Company was one of the earliest of the companies that used fine steel shaped and cast via triphammer processing (pre-Industrial Revolution, but definitely much faster than blacksmith-wroght pieces). This axe pattern with the pointed/pyramid shaped ears was taken from earlier trade pieces, including an Iroquois pattern. (see Neumann's 'Swords and Blades of the American Revolution', 55a, 56a, 27a, 29a. See also Hartzler's 'Indian Tomahawks and Frontiersmen Belt Axes, pg 38\fig 5, pg 39\fig 6, pg 49\fig 36 and pg 96\fig 44 for similar triangled ears and similar heads). The oval eye on mine drilled out and the haft very possibly original.

As these were the very first commercially produced models, they were included in catalogs of the time and indeed sold to hardware stores, suttlers, tool suppliers, etc. It is noted, however, that these early pattern heads were also put on wagons and sent out to the trading posts, just like the old hand-wrought spike axes of yesteryear. Thus, we have an axe pattern that truly served both worlds (Native Americans and settlers).
Attached Images