Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th November 2018, 09:18 PM   #181
A. G. Maisey

I have never looked closely at the gunong in its socio-cultural context, but browsing through this thread, it seems to me that there is a plethora of material for a rather solid sort of paper.

Has any such paper/article/commentary already been published?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 11:00 PM   #182
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I have never looked closely at the gunong in its socio-cultural context, but browsing through this thread, it seems to me that there is a plethora of material for a rather solid sort of paper.

Has any such paper/article/commentary already been published?
There was once an online pamphlet from our member Federico Malibago but it's down. BTW, he visited the forum 2008 the last time, did someone know about him? Sadly seems that nobody saved the text!?
And what we know exact? Most is a pure guessing game. And for my own person I can say that I don't will have the time for a project like this beside my job.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 07:21 AM   #183
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef, Like David I really love the blade on this gunong. The simple but lovely engraving, the slender elegance of the needle pointed blade with its long sharpened false edge, the file work on the short flat section of the spine all combine to make this not only a truly beautiful dagger, but a seriously deadly one as well. Congratulations on yet another great addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 12:46 PM   #184
kronckew

I recall that the US Army Occupation prohibited the Kris and Barongs from every day sash carry after losing a few troopers, but not the smaller (and just as deadly) gunongs. Many Moro sided with the US, tho a lot didn't. Bit like now, in Afghanistan, hard to tell who is on your side, or not.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 08:39 PM   #185
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
The simple but lovely engraving, the slender elegance of the needle pointed blade with its long sharpened false edge, the file work on the short flat section of the spine all combine to make this not only a truly beautiful dagger, but a seriously deadly one as well.
Hello Robert,
Thank you! You descibe exactly why I thought that it's worth to show some pictures from this piece.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 5th November 2018, 08:46 PM   #186
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
I recall that the US Army Occupation prohibited the Kris and Barongs from every day sash carry after losing a few troopers, but not the smaller (and just as deadly) gunongs.
Hello Wayne,

I think that I've read or heard the same, gunong become popular when long blades get prohibited.

Regards,
Detlef