Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th February 2024, 10:31 AM   #1
A.alnakkas

I remember emailing you images of an 'Algerian' nimcha that was found in Yemen with later Yemeni mounts. It was restored but I shall upload the before and after images upon receiving it. Perhaps the mariners had influence on Yemen which explains the high usage of short blades.

-

Last edited by fernando; 10th February 2024 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Please do not quote entire previous posts, just relevant small sections when necessary.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2024, 10:44 AM   #2
A.alnakkas

Here are the images. Note that the nimcha will have further restorations to the hilt with MoP and coral. though my restorer will confirm if its a viable option or will negatively effects the handle.

This particular example has two lockets which is odd, the older having Ottoman style niello work over a later, 19th century Yemeni locket (matches the chape and carrying rings) so this likely had quite a journey. The blades on both examples are short cutlass type.
Attached Images

Last edited by A.alnakkas; 10th February 2024 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Additional images of the hilt added
Old 10th February 2024, 10:49 AM   #3
A.alnakkas

Images of the nimcha hilt
Attached Images

Old 10th February 2024, 03:18 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These are great examples Lofty! and its amazing to see them restored.
I think the hardest thing in describing these variations in the spectrum of Arabian sa'if is the terms used for them. Though often not linguistically or geographically correct , these typically serve well semantically in specifying which form or example is being referred to.

The term 'nimcha' is of course seems the most broadly used for most of these from Moroccan (and Algerian), to Zanzibari, but then these 'pistol gripped' types which are basically the same as the others with sort of a canted pommel, seem to fall into what was regarded as from Hadramaut. Naturally these are actually Yemeni, but for some time I thought that was more correct.

Of course I recognize the silver banded, and distinctive silvered throat and chape, and realized some time ago that Yemeni was more properly used.

Good point on the probable influence of mariners likely impacting the use of shorter and somewhat heavier blades in regions where their ports of call would be a source for weaponry as well as trade goods.

By analogy, the Spanish colonial espada ancha, the shorter, heavy bladed hanger used largely in utility use for brushing trails etc. actually evolved from hangers and cutlasses from vessels arriving in ports in New Spain. The cutlasses used on ships, while obviously used in combat if necessary, also served mostly in mundane services on board and notably ashore , where they became 'machetes' in cutting through thick vegetation .

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 10th February 2024 at 04:45 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2024, 04:23 PM   #5
TVV

Very interesting Lotfy, thank you for posting these. Do you also have pictures of the blade of the Algerian nimcha?
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 04:02 AM   #6
M ELEY

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread! (especially Jim, for starting it!). As a 'follower' of all things pirate, I had been confused by the various patterns of swords from the Magreb and other regions referred to broadly as 'nimcha'. For someone such as myself who would like to add a Barbary corsair-type sword to their collection, this clarifies the issue very much! Thanks to everyone again!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 04:46 AM   #7
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV View Post
Very interesting Lotfy, thank you for posting these. Do you also have pictures of the blade of the Algerian nimcha?
Yes sir. I am mostly using old photos of when this was being prepared for restoration. The blade is in much better shape now.

There appears to be both import and 'local' production of relatively good quality. I am mainly basing this on the varying finish quality but all seem to maintain the very wide spine and drastic distal taper.
Attached Images

Old 12th February 2024, 04:51 AM   #8
A.alnakkas

This example I sold a while ago. From what I remember the blade was phenomenal. Those short blades I came to handle all share the features I've mentioned before; very wide spines and drastic distal taper but not all look the same. Some have Arabic stamps too.
Attached Images