Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd June 2023, 07:55 PM   #1
Mel H

Default KORA with Eye symbols

Thought some may like to see a Nepalese Kora that I recently acquired from a local auction house. I've not seen many of these over the years so am happy to have it, it seems to follow the general form of the ones I see online with the metal hilt which has an almost slab sided hexagonal metal grip, together with a knuckle guard which I think is less often seen. The blade, sharpened on the inside edge which is engraved with an eye on either side is substantial and quite a bit heavier than I envisaged, I would describe the wide and blunt fore end as almost club like, it would certainly slow down any helmet wearing enemy. The overall patination has darkened it, I'm quite happy to leave it that way but I'm sure that I can see some grain in the blade. I'm also intrigued by the 'knurled' effect at the ricasso, does this appear on any other Asian swords?
I'd welcome any thoughts.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mel H; 22nd June 2023 at 08:23 PM.
Mel H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2023, 10:14 PM   #2
Bob A

A very handsome sword, profuse with sophisticated metalwork. I didn't see any indication of markings on the spine of the blade, and doubtless you would have mentioned and photographed them if they existed. The only thing that might give me pause is the accuracy and elegance of the metalwork itself, which is exceptionally pleasing to my eye. Almost too good, though I'd ignore any suspicion in a heartbeat, charmed as I am by the thing in its entirety.

I am far from expert in these blades, but I can say without hesitation that I'd welcome it into my collection. Great find, in my opinion.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2023, 03:50 AM   #3
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel H View Post
Thought some may like to see a Nepalese Kora that I recently acquired from a local auction house. I've not seen many of these over the years so am happy to have it, it seems to follow the general form of the ones I see online with the metal hilt which has an almost slab sided hexagonal metal grip, together with a knuckle guard which I think is less often seen. The blade, sharpened on the inside edge which is engraved with an eye on either side is substantial and quite a bit heavier than I envisaged, I would describe the wide and blunt fore end as almost club like, it would certainly slow down any helmet wearing enemy. The overall patination has darkened it, I'm quite happy to leave it that way but I'm sure that I can see some grain in the blade. I'm also intrigued by the 'knurled' effect at the ricasso, does this appear on any other Asian swords?
I'd welcome any thoughts.
I have seen and have a kukri that are very similar in pommel construction and guard including the curved back part to the knuckle guard. I believe they were made in the early 20th C (around WW1 to 1920s) but could be a bit earlier. Made around or in Almora. Almora is a municipal board and a cantonment town in the state of Uttarakhand, India. Almora is located on a ridge at the southern edge of the Kumaon Hills of the Himalaya range. I have attached the one in the Gurkha Museum that is similar in hilt construction. Very similar pommel. It was gifted by a british Officer of the Gurkha Rifles. I suspect your kora is from the region too.
Attached Images

RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2023, 03:57 AM   #4
RAMBA

Default Kukri Example of Construction Type

I believe these were a style from particular region. All example I have seen are very well made. I date the kukri below and the kora in the Gurkha Museum above to around the 1910 - 20s.
Attached Images

RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2023, 11:47 AM   #5
JBG163

Hi
Nice kora. You can see the quench area on the edge (the whitest part), as much as some fold on the steel .
Those tend to be late, i would say late 19th early 20th. The mounts and the ricasso have a strong Indian feeling. Which imo confirm the later period age for this sword.
The eye is the "eye of Kali", here to look at the sacrifice.
Hope this help,
Julien
JBG163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2023, 04:53 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Here is example of what has long been held to be 'Bengali' example of these. often as here with tulwar hilt. I had always been told these were for ritual sacrifice of doves, the eye of Kali present as on the ram dao.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2023, 12:13 PM   #7
Mel H

Very helpful. Thanks everyone for the input.
Mel.
Mel H is offline   Reply With Quote