Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th November 2020, 09:16 PM   #1
AHorsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
but I see no reason why Indian smiths couldn't do it to meet a more specific European demand.

No question, Marius. It is just not an Indian blade from its shape but possibly made in India in the European style
AHorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2020, 10:24 PM   #2
Will M

I don't believe there is an inscription on the blade. Our brains are made to find shapes and we do see things that are not there. I believe the "O" is just part of the Damascus pattern.
Very interesting blade and I see something (design) at the ricasso
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 01:00 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This cuphilt is of European 'style', naturally inferring Spanish or Portuguese, and Germany also used the cuphilt in degree, but these arming type versions are typically colonial and 18th century.

I am unsure that India would be my first thought for pattern welding. India was renowned for its wootz of course, but I am not familiar with Indian blades using pattern welding. Naturally I would be interested in examples showing otherwise.

In India, especially with Portuguese arrival, there was strong interest in European style and of course blades. Indian swords often had European blades mounted, even rapier blades, a type of sword whose use had absolutely no place in Indian swordsmanship.

In the 18th century there was notable use of these cup hilt type arming swords in colonial settings, but not with this type of much earlier European blade form. It is important to note that Toledo by the 18th century had virtually become defunct as a blade making entity, and the reliance was on Solingen. It seems possible that a pattern welded blade may have come from Germany in latter 18th century in a commissioned case as there were instances of testing various blade forms and forging techniques in this time.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 05:56 AM   #4
thomas hauschild

The area near the cup seems to be made from a different piece of steel. Maybe reinforced later after the blade was broken near the hilt. I have some blades with reinforced areas like this to get more thickness in that critical area. If a blade will have a constant thickness the area with reduced material to fit the hilt will be most critical to brake. The logical solution will be ..to make it thicker in that area and to prefer a softer piece of steel outside ( like in a 3-layer / sanmai blade) for the repair. If a blade was broken in the past the steel was still an expensive piece of material. So why do not repair it ?. The blade seems to be made out of a raffinated steel, just to refine the steel , not with the intention to create a special pattern. The use of a raffinated, different piece for the reinforcement seems to be done in the past „to that time“.

Just my opinion about the blade, without knowledge about type of sword.

Best Thomas
thomas hauschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 08:13 AM   #5
AHorsa

Thanks for your thoughts, Gentlemen and the interesting observation, Thomas.

@Will: It is defintely a remain of an inscription. It is hard to see it from the image, but when you turn the blade against light you see that such a pattern appears nowhere else than in the fuller. Also there are other remains in the fuller, which are identical on both sides.
It´s really a pitty that the inscription is cleaned away. Would be so interesting to know it.

What do you think about the pommel (which by the way shows two Mascarons and the small part beneath the rivet seems to be suplemented)? Does it belong to the sword?
Attached Images

Last edited by AHorsa; 25th November 2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 25th November 2020, 10:25 AM   #6
ulfberth

no it does not, the picture from up close shows a lot more , also the gripwire and ring against the pommel are a replacement.
kind regards
Ulfberth
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 11:24 AM   #7
AHorsa

Thanks for your opinion, Dirk. Of course the grip-wire and rings are "new". For the pommel I wasn´t sure as it is an old period one.