Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st August 2019, 06:43 PM   #1
Belgian1

Default South Africa wooden staff for identification

Good morning or good evening to all,
I would like to know your opinion about this "wise or dignitary" wooden staff that I thought primarly was Tsonga. Now I doubt. Do you have any ideas or answers? 145 cm.
Many thanks
Attached Images

Belgian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Belgian1

Default How to remove this post and photos?

Hello everyone,
As nobody seems to know enough this type of stick to be able to give more information about it, I would like to erase this post and the photos which are illustrated there.
I think it is useless to overload the server with this subject that does not interest anyone. Would an administrator be kind enough to delete this post? Thank you in advance.
Good afternoon and sorry for this topic ;-)
Old 4th August 2019, 10:17 PM   #3
kai

Wink

Welcome to the forum!

It certainly looks interesting; not my area of expertise though.

As anywhere else, vacation times can be a bit slow here - give our forumites a bit of slack to get online again and find time to comment!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2019, 02:11 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Maybe this should be in the Ethno Miscellanea forum.
I think it should stay up at any rate.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2019, 07:38 AM   #5
Belgian1

Default South Africa staff for identification

Hi Kal, Hi Rik,
I thank you for your comments
Best regards
Fab.
Old 5th August 2019, 08:47 AM   #6
Kubur

This forum is not facebook, people think before they write.
Like a cannon after firing, it take "some time" to cool down...
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Belgian1

Default Baton tribal

Hello Kubur,
Thank you for this "lesson" of wise philosophy. I appreciate :-) Yes indeed, the gun needs to cool after firing if we missed the target. But if the target is hit or gone, there is no need to keep the ''connon'' and even less to recharge it at the risk of abusing it ;-)
But also, I do not think that I shot anyone or anything. I just think that my post will not interest anyone.
And to finish, I am not on facebook or instagram or other "social" networks because the cannons seem for the most part of the same caliber and the same hand and directed towards the same targets ;-)
Have a nice day.
Old 5th August 2019, 12:38 PM   #8
drac2k

Hello Belgian1,
We have all felt the frustration of not having instant positive feedback on occasions when we proudly display our prized possessions and there are not any corresponding replies. I noticed your very nice staff and returned to your post several times to see if anyone had identified it. The reason why I didn't comment was due to the fact that I couldn't make an intelligent or meaningful observation; I am sure that many others also felt the same way.
Your post has been viewed over 235 times as of this date, so it has generated a great deal of interest and it will be an important permanent asset of this forum.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2019, 01:27 PM   #9
Henk

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
I noticed your very nice staff and returned to your post several times to see if anyone had identified it. The reason why I didn't comment was due to the fact that I couldn't make an intelligent or meaningful observation; I am sure that many others also felt the same way.
Exactly.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2019, 09:12 PM   #10
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian1
Hello Kubur,
Thank you for this "lesson" of wise philosophy. I appreciate :-) Yes indeed, the gun needs to cool after firing if we missed the target. But if the target is hit or gone, there is no need to keep the ''connon'' and even less to recharge it at the risk of abusing it ;-)
But also, I do not think that I shot anyone or anything. I just think that my post will not interest anyone.
And to finish, I am not on facebook or instagram or other "social" networks because the cannons seem for the most part of the same caliber and the same hand and directed towards the same targets ;-)
Have a nice day.
Hi Belgian,
I would like to say in response to your comment above, that all posts will be of interest to someone, and indeed they all expand the scope of this Forum. Sometimes items do not get replied to for several months, and existing posts sometimes have replies some years after originally being posted. I feel sure that someone out there will know what your item is and answer in due course.
As Corporal Jones said in a well known British Comedy.."Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!"
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 10:31 AM   #11
Martin Lubojacky

Thumbs up

Hello Belgian,

The staff is nice and interesting ! Unfortunately I am not expert in this field...
I think there was no reply for a complete four days since the theme is specialized and narrow (at least from my point of view; maybe Zemanek-Muenster Auction House could give you some advice) and the base of the people with this knowledge is not big. At the same time, there are I think people interested but without big knowledge - and in our hectic times they did not find time to study specialized literature (my case ...). And also not everybody is giving/clicking "like" if they have nothing more to say (unfortunately also my case).
Best,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 12:27 PM   #12
TomHurstAntiques

I have a feeling that this could be Chokwe or somewhere around there.
TomHurstAntiques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 01:46 PM   #13
Tim Simmons

Very nice old staff from Southern Africa. With positive provenance it is not easy to say exactly where in Southern and South Africa as styles are not fixed. It is a nice piece.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote