Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd March 2021, 10:31 PM   #1
pbleed

Default Filipino cannons

Dear Friends,
I am a long-time lurker on the Ethnographic Arms and Armour Forum, but I have little skill in this medium, so I rarely have spoken up.
I write today because I am developing a paper on a couple of cannons that I think deserve documentation. I own them. They were brought to the US before America’s involvement in WWI by an early and distinguished officer in the Philippine Constabulary. They both exhibit an interesting break action design. And both are made of older bronze muzzle loading guns.
The smaller gun seems made to accept a 37mm shell. It has a very light inscription on the barrel extension that may say something like “El D??? Baro”. It also carries the number “3” on the wood base. The barrel measures 36.5 cm. I believe that this gun was made of a small Spanish cannon. I would appreciate suggestions and guidance on this topic.
The other gun seems to be a modified lantaka that was adjusted to accept a 1” (Nordenfelt?) round. The barrel is 77 cm long.
I would appreciate any and all advice, but I am especially interested in the break action design of these guns. Is this type at all common?
Thank you. If I can figure out how to do it, I will post some pictures
Peter Bleed
pbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:06 PM   #2
Philip

Thanks, and let's see some pictures please!
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:25 PM   #3
pbleed

I'd love to, but I can't figure out how to do it.
Peter
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:34 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Peter,

Welcome to the Forum. Please see the following document located on the Ethnographic main page (third item down from the top):
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13631
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2021, 01:41 AM   #5
pbleed

Let's try these!
Attached Images

Old 24th March 2021, 01:39 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Peter, can you show pictures of the breeches open and maybe a picture from the rear of each gun looking down the barrel/s? Also what is your opinion of the current mountings; display, or functional?
The larger cannon looks like it was cut from a gunwale which would be a reasonable way to mount a gun of this size. The only thing that puzzles me is how the gun was elevated or depressed.
Thanks.

37mm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37_mm_gun_M3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordenfelt_gun

Last edited by Rick; 24th March 2021 at 02:16 AM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2021, 07:39 AM   #7
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbleed
They both exhibit an interesting break action design. And both are made of older bronze muzzle loading guns.

The other gun seems to be a modified lantaka that was adjusted to accept a 1” (Nordenfelt?) round.
Hi Peter,

Are you sure that they were muzzle loading guns? and not breech-loading swivel guns? It is just a question, I know nothing about these cannons.

And are you sure that the second one is a modified lantaka and not an old Portuguese cannon? I wonder if the lantaka were local copies of Portuguese cannons? Close photos would be good.

Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2021, 12:09 AM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with the call for close ups. They don't look like traditional antique lantaks to me, but more late 19thc - early 20thc. IF the second one is an old lantaka, it is such that the lantaka was modified to work on a rail.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2021, 06:26 PM   #9
pbleed

I appreciate the responses that have been offered. Thank you and please forgive my ham-handed attempts at communication.
I also failed to communicated in my initial post that these are MODIFIED guns that were altered to make them BREECH LOADERS. I think the smaller gun started as a Spanish mountain gun. The other one looks like a "lantaka", but I wish there was a grand synthesis of those guns. Apparently there isn't one.
Both are mounted on large - but movable - wooden bases. They are absolutely NOT gunwale sections. They look to me like man-handles field artillery.
These guns are both BREAK ACTION breech loaders that were fitted in iron frames that let them pivot open and be firmly closed when they pivoted down. I was hoping to find some precedent for that design somewhere in Asia. More than anything they look to me like BIG shotguns
Attached Images

Old 25th March 2021, 07:23 PM   #10
Edster

Are the barrels rifled? They may be ships signal guns.

Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2021, 08:19 PM   #11
pbleed

Indeed they are NOT rifled. There isn't even a distinct shell chamber so the could be anything. They were brought home by a decorated combat officer with the Philippine Constabulary. Why couldn't they be artillery pieces?
Old 27th March 2021, 06:36 PM   #12
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
...I wonder if the lantaka were local copies of Portuguese cannons? ...
No, rather the other way round. The Portuguese later reproduced them ... eventually for local trade, and also as a currency means.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2021, 06:50 PM   #13
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Peter, may i assume that the (non lantaka) gun also has an extraction system ?
Could you then shows a photo taken from its back so that we may discern how that system works; visibly not like the one in the lantaka ...
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote