Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th November 2019, 09:35 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Default When it comes to Indian armes - I am wonderig....

The last thread I made, was posted by about 9 people, but the on lookingers were more than 1500.
This makes me think, that there must be a lot of people interested in Indian arms - but you dont post - why not?
Dont post a lot of photos without any commrents, but please do show pictures with commrnts - measure and like that.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

This is a valid point. My take is that people don't post because it's too complicated. The mobile phone is being used a lot these days and our system is very clunky when trying to use that format.

These days people get very bored with difficult to use technology and ours is old and hard to fathom.

Make it easy and they will post.

An example is the Library ...with an instruction page which is a myriad of complex instructions that 99.999 per cent of users don't want...Why not just have two instructions?;

1. What you are looking for. 2. Hit Search Button
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 09:56 AM   #3
Kubur

Well
views and readers is not the same.
The same reader has probably seen your post 20 or 5O times.
So your 1500 are maybe 30 readers...

Then my opinion is that dealers (small on ebay) and bigs are watching and using the site but they don't share their knowledge.
Only a few of them participate, it's the reason why I post only very little of what I know. I'm not santa.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 12:10 PM   #4
Rafngard

I also think that for many of us, we don't feel we have anything to contribute.

I, for example, am somewhat interested in Indian arms. However, it's outside of my collecting area, and I honestly don't know much on the subject. I'd like to learn a little more, and so view posts, but don't much comment.

I suspect there are others like myself out there.

Thanks,
Leif
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 04:49 PM   #5
thomas hauschild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
This is a valid point. My take is that people don't post because it's too complicated. The mobile phone is being used a lot these days and our system is very clunky when trying to use that format.

These days people get very bored with difficult to use technology and ours is old and hard to fathom.

Make it easy and they will post.

An example is the Library ...with an instruction page which is a myriad of complex instructions that 99.999 per cent of users don't want...Why not just have two instructions?;

1. What you are looking for. 2. Hit Search Button

I agree. I make nearly 100% of all of my private internet things with the ipad. It makes really good pictures. In other forums and social network I just load up pictures as they are. During the upload the pics are transformated down to the size the specific platform uses automatically. Fire and forget. Here I need to size them down pic by pic and sometimes twice to find the size. After that deleting the double file on the ipad. Need time that I do not spend everytime I get a new piece in my collection. In two weeks there will start an exibition with 200 outstanding pieces in the solingen blademuseum. I realy like to make more than one pic of every piece to share here.

Best Thomas
thomas hauschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 11:49 PM   #6
ariel

Jens,
It is only natural. We all have our areas of interest and knowledge and actively participate in the discussions of our competence ( sometimes limited, but at least sufficient to ask a cogent question). But from time to time we wish to expand our horizons just a little bit and visit the undiscovered countries.
I visit European and Kris Fora, but remain quiet there because I have nothing to add. Even more: I have nothing to ask.

Let’s satisfy ourselves with the fantasy that our subdivision has topics interesting enough for the unenlightened:-)
They can feel the same about their areas of collecting:-)
This is only fair.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2019, 11:54 AM   #7
Jens Nordlunde

Thank you for the answers. I think all of you have given a valid answer.
Maybe a change of collecting interest have something to do with it as well.
Old 21st November 2019, 05:40 PM   #8
Will M

When it comes to militaria shows I find less than 1% of a large city attend, in fact 0.0001%. I base this on Toronto of 3 million and 300 people attend the Etobicoke show.
I think many collectors wish to remain anonymous.
I should also mention demographics have changed drastically in Toronto over the past 40+ years and many just have no interest.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2019, 06:09 PM   #9
corrado26

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M
..........and many just have no interest.
and no knowledge of history at all. So there is absolutely no background to base on a collection with historical items. I-Phone and PCs are the gods of today and a ridicolous bad schoolsystem is part of this disaster.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:58 PM   #10
Cthulhu

Indian and Indopersian arms are my primary interest as far as arms are concerned.

I rarely post (on any subject) because

a) My knowledge of arms pales in comparison to others here, so if I get in on a thread early I risk looking like a fool, and if I get in late I have nothing new to contribute.

b) As far as I know I'm still a probationary forum member with all of my posts moderated. This time delay makes more conversational posting feel pointless; I should only post things that are relevant much later and out-of-sequence.

c) There are a fair number of rules that I have to try to remember and not break. Nothing wrong with rules, but I keep asking myself "Did I mention a price? Is this item for sale? Am I breaking some other rule I'm not remembering?" Generally I just don't bother to post.

d) In many threads I'm interested in the content, but I just don't have anything to say. Either I agree, or I know nothing of it, or I'm just there to absorb whatever is said.

That all being said, I may post more in the future. I'd hate for Jens to think there's lack of interest in Indian arms; from what I can see (and from current prices) interest in Indian and Indopersian arms is very much alive.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:18 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Indian and Indopersian arms are my primary interest as far as arms are concerned.

I rarely post (on any subject) because

a) My knowledge of arms pales in comparison to others here, so if I get in on a thread early I risk looking like a fool, and if I get in late I have nothing new to contribute.

b) As far as I know I'm still a probationary forum member with all of my posts moderated. This time delay makes more conversational posting feel pointless; I should only post things that are relevant much later and out-of-sequence.

c) There are a fair number of rules that I have to try to remember and not break. Nothing wrong with rules, but I keep asking myself "Did I mention a price? Is this item for sale? Am I breaking some other rule I'm not remembering?" Generally I just don't bother to post.

d) In many threads I'm interested in the content, but I just don't have anything to say. Either I agree, or I know nothing of it, or I'm just there to absorb whatever is said.

That all being said, I may post more in the future. I'd hate for Jens to think there's lack of interest in Indian arms; from what I can see (and from current prices) interest in Indian and Indopersian arms is very much alive.

Very nicely posted Cthulthu (nice Lovecraftian handle there!), and while you say you hesitate to enter for 'lack of knowledge' , I would say that first of all, we are all students here and we learn together. When someone as courteous as you makes entries on a subject in well reasoned questions, it is an opportunity to learn for us all. Nobody regards well placed queries as foolish !

Indian arms are a very specialized and complex field, and by that measure, fascinating and compelling in that their diversity and innovation tend to draw us in further and further as we study them. I know that Jens has studied them most of his life, and I have had the distinct honor of sharing study with him in a good part of my own life. Yet, I know personally, it seems for every discovery, there are dozens more questions.

That is why Jens has expressed this concern. To learn, what is needed is ever broadening participation, sharing thoughts and observations, and above all ..posting examples which can often yield amazing results in fact finding.

While being cognizant of rules, simply avoiding commercial links and discussion of values or prices is mostly just obvious avoidance of legal issues potentially involved, that is just common sense, as you are clearly aware.

I am glad top hear you will be posting more! Dont worry about what you can add, ask questions, tell us what you think on a topic, and exchange ideas.
I have studied arms longer than I can say (many moons!) and honestly, I learn something new every day, and ALWAYS with the patience of so many in varied fields who graciously always answer by questions and gently correct many of my perceptions which are sometimes off center

Post away!!! We'll talk!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:27 PM   #12
Jens Nordlunde

Hello Cthulthu,
Please post when you want to ask somethink - that is what the forum is for.
It is, however, with a forum like with the books, dont trust what have been written till you are convinced yourself.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:30 PM   #13
Rich

I occasionally ask a question as in a recent thread; but mostly just read and learn (albeit slowly).
Rich
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 05:39 AM   #14
Cthulhu

Thanks for the posts of encouragement.

It appears my posts aren't moderated anymore, and I've gone on a mad posting spree, so there you go.

If I get time this weekend I'll even post some photos and questions about a firanghi I have, thus increasing traffic involving Indian arms as a direct result of this thread.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote