Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th April 2023, 02:41 PM   #1
David R

Default Priming flask.

Not to sure where this one originates from, but a neat little thing it is, and I was very glade to get it. These are rarer than the main flasks or powder horns.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2023, 06:16 PM   #2
Turkoman.khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Not to sure where this one originates from, but a neat little thing it is, and I was very glade to get it. These are rarer than the main flasks or powder horns.
I think it's an Arabic priming flask. Very sweet.
Turkoman.khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2023, 10:38 PM   #3
kahnjar1

Hi David,
Possibly Persian.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2023, 05:59 PM   #4
rickystl

Hi David

I have always thought these tiny flasks were a real curiosity. They seem too small even for a priming flask. Although they are functional and will hold about a half-dozen or so pan primes. Occasionally, these show up attached to Afghan rifleman's belt along with other accessories. And they all look similar.
Here is one I own which includes a combination screwdriver and vent pick. There is a screw on one end that will allow powder to be filled. Sometimes I wonder if these were meant to be just some type of charm or good luck piece. But then again, they were made as fully functional. Difficult to make sense of their use.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2023, 06:42 PM   #5
Turkoman.khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl View Post
Hi David

I have always thought these tiny flasks were a real curiosity. They seem too small even for a priming flask. Although they are functional and will hold about a half-dozen or so pan primes. Occasionally, these show up attached to Afghan rifleman's belt along with other accessories. And they all look similar.
Here is one I own which includes a combination screwdriver and vent pick. There is a screw on one end that will allow powder to be filled. Sometimes I wonder if these were meant to be just some type of charm or good luck piece. But then again, they were made as fully functional. Difficult to make sense of their use.

Rick
Hi Rick

Is it possible to see an example of such a priming flask, that these show up attached to Afghan rifleman's belt along with other accessories. The fact is that I have seen a combination of similar priming flasks with Arabic belts, such as in this example from the museum:

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O...k-and-unknown/
Attached Images

Old 1st May 2023, 04:32 PM   #6
BBJW

This looks like a Persian primer flask with the punctured circle decoration and a nipple prick.-- bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2023, 04:47 PM   #7
Turkoman.khan

Hm. I always thought Persian priming flasks looked like this:

https://shedet.journals.ekb.eg/artic...f54bb7de03.pdf
Attached Images

Old 1st May 2023, 08:51 PM   #8
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl View Post
Hi David

Rick
In a non military context, how often do you need to prime, before going home? But I agree, very small and I do wonder if they were as much talismanic or even symbolic as useful.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2023, 08:45 AM   #9
cyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
In a non military context, how often do you need to prime, before going home? But I agree, very small and I do wonder if they were as much talismanic or even symbolic as useful.
I agree, the average hunter or shepherd only needs prime maybe a couple times if they get lucky/unlucky
cyten is offline   Reply With Quote