Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Fabulous Mausers 98 inspired sword

This is my kind of thing and no doubt a rare find. Looks like the guns that the gorilla soldiers in the film "Planet of the Apes" really Nice chunky handle. Not completely sure what part of German Africa it comes from, the wood suggest a SE area. The blade has come from something pretty big being 63cm long just under 4cm wide. The scabbard is much the same size as wood work on a rifle. The picture looking down on the piece that resembles the palm rest on the real gun stock shows that at one time there was a pretend trigger. Just fascinating. Sorry ethis this just had my name on it.

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

More details.

Old 5th September 2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Andrew

That is so cool, Tim!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Thanks Andrew, I must say I am rather excited by it. Looking closely at these two weapons clearly with European inspiration. I am certain the blades are African made. This large weapon blade has to many peculiarity's in its overall shape and cross section to have come from a sword or machete. It is well tempered more so than my Moro kris which has a very similar feel in the hand. This blade is quite heavy with an eliptical section and a back edge.
Old 5th September 2007, 04:58 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

I saw that one one ebay but could not make out what it was? Once again you did well.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 06:22 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Question looking another way

I will be the first to assume this is African. Lets just take a second look. Can any body see a Chinese Doa? Could the dark wood with the forked end be a representation of the gun rest often seen on Tibetan and Chinese, far eastern guns. The Mauser model 98 was widely adopted and the Germans had a protectorate in China. It is not at all impossible that this is from a Sino Tibetan minority? The bi-coloured wood of the handle could also be Asian? Any thoughts?
Old 5th September 2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Incredibly interesting item Tim!
The heavy wood scabbard actually looks very much like a gun stock as found on these heavy rifles, at least to me (not saying that its made out of one, but seems to be emulating that look, as also evidenced by the vestigial trigger presumed). This looks to be an ersatz, probably blacksmith produced machete type weapon, and as suggested most likely from German regions of Africa. One wonders if the weapon was produced to simulate a gun while being carried as a psychological ploy. We know that in African tribal weapons, the imagery is often a key element as seen in the often bizarre designs seen on blades and various elements such as throwing knives etc.

It would seem that German colonial regions in east central Africa or even more southern regions of Dutch colonial posture are most likely for this weapon, which seems of reasonably modern date. Concerning the blade, the exaggerated clipped point/yelman recalls of course the rather dramatic blades we have seen on certain Indian tulwars and even those of the Chinese oxtails brought back from China during the Boxer Rebellion period. Naturally the German presence in China during that time was well established. Either of these influences may have inspired the unusual profile of the blade, and while German trophy might have been the source, so might an early tulwar from the many workers from India who imigrated to these regions of Africa.

Most curious is the inscribed marking near the blade peak at the back which looks like a simplistic and exaggerated trisula, but whether intended as a marking (or the patterning guidelines for the maker) is unclear.

What is the weapon illustrated just above this one ? That too has a pretty interesting scabbard, and the beaked hilt is unusual. Looks like latter 19th century Mexican knives from Northern Mexico.

Just observations and speculation as usual and looking forward to other comments.

All best regards,
Jim

P.S. My first inclination was to classify this a Zambezian flyssa and it does recall the macho custom weaponry of Hollywood i.e. "King Solomons Mines; Michael Douglas "Jewel of the Nile" etc.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 5th September 2007 at 07:02 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote