Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th April 2019, 12:37 PM   #1
stephen wood

Default Tigre People

The Tigre people who Littmann was writing about live in what is now Eritrea and the Sudan rather than Ethiopia proper. They are related to the Beja and were governed by an Ethiopian official, seen here with members of the expedition.
Attached Images

stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Edster

Stephen,

I accessed an English version of the Princeton piece, p.204 f. Thanks.

Jim,

Thanks for your astute comments. I'd like to use your comments and reference to the pebbles in my Silver Dress update in process.

I think the apparent budah square on the Stars & Comets is actually a Dotted Square. It is the focal point of the cover. The dotted square is a ancient talismanic form described by L. D. Graham in his Repeat Letter Ciphers paper, p.e10, linked below.

https://www.academia.edu/1999297/In_...h_the_Pleiades

I have a note in my 1984 Kassala field notes that has a "cow's head" mark much like the one on your sword. It was attributed to a smith named Sammani who made the sword seen at the time of Ansari, the first Sudanese president (c. 1956). Sammani died c. 1979.

More from notes: The shaykh of the Blacksmiths, Musa Malit, said that in 1918 no one makes swords. They came from Europe & Ethiopia made by companies. People in the country only carried knives & spears. People bought swords from soldiers in Mussawa (these would have been Italians I think), Egypt & Turks. They traded their spears for swords after the Mahdiya.

On the walls were pictures of the Mahdi, Gordon, Sadiq al Mahdi (the Mahdi's son), Othman Digna and the Khalifa. This was in 1984, 100 years after the Mahdiya and the reconquest. History lasts a long time there. What did Faulkner say? "The past is never dead. It's not even past."

Regards,
Ed

Last edited by Edster; 15th April 2019 at 02:41 PM.
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 03:06 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much for the kind words Ed, and I added these excerpts from my notes in hopes you could use them in your work, so I am honored they will be useful.
That is exciting to know the smith's name, and that this is a cows head. I sort of thought it might be that and recall even looking into the brands used by cattle herders in Kordofan (MacMillan I think was author c.1911).
Could the mark have been from earlier and taken up by Sammani, this sword seems a lot older than the mid 20th...…...as I mentioned it was supposed to be from time of Ali Dinar (but as he was killed in 1914 the 1918 end of making seems understandable).

I recall your notes on Kassala and that the figures from the time of Mahdi, Khalif and Omdurman were still prominent in 1980s and as you well say, the past never ceases. For me these weapons tell us it is still here and their stories remind us.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 03:57 PM   #4
Edster

I've seen the cow's head on a blade submitted by at least one other forum member as well. That combined with yours and the one in Kassala suggests that the mark was used multiple times, and the punches were available to other smiths. Your cross-guard looks old and is a forge welded 4-piece unit. Certainly older than the "50s. Probably much older. Many Mahdi era blades had religious inscriptions scratched on them and is a pretty good indication of that period.
Old 16th April 2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Bill M

Please comment on this? I should take some better images.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=Kaskara
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 06:22 PM   #6
Edster

Bill M,

That's a very nice Kaskara. The blade has a Kar/Khor type fuller and was likely forged in the Tigre (Muslim) region of what is now Eritrea. My informants in Kassala in 1984 attributed the Kar's likely origin to Ethiopia, although that type of fuller was done in Sudan as well. Actually, the larger Beja peoples roamed over the area between Kassala, Suwakin, Mussawa, Red Sea Hills for several hundred years. Lots of spill over in these low lands. Kassaka itself is just a few miles from the Ethiopian border.

Stephen Woods information from Post # 36, collected in Eritrea in 1905-06, above describes this blade/fuller "species" as:
"2. But if the Kar is carved with a broad line up to the
point, it is of little value; and it is the sword of the high-
waymen only."

The Arabic script engraving, lines along edges of the fuller and the silver grip cover would put it as above the "highwaymen only" quality. Translation of the text would enhance our understanding of its origin and possible date.

The etchings on the blade are interesting, but don't really tell me any tales.

The silver grip cover isn't like the two known styles: diamonds and stars & Comets/dotted cross and would likely originate outside Sudan. The cross-guard looks kaskara style, but I don't know how far into Eritrea/Ethiopia the style penetrated. Some may argue that the style even originated there as similar versions have appeared on ancient Ethiopian wall paintings.

Hopefully others will add their interpretations.

Regards,
Ed
Old 17th April 2019, 12:06 PM   #7
Iain

The etching on the blade is consistent with a European trade blade, these were popular astral themes on European blades, the blade is very likely to be 18th century and I think the opposite of something for a highwayman. This is the problem with some of the native classifications, depending when they were compiled they may refer in some cases to locally made blades that were inferior but obviously don't cover very good imports like this one.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote