Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th October 2016, 08:46 AM   #1
kronckew

Default Kovsh

definitely not a weapon, this is a norwegian kovsh, or shepherd's cup that i just got from ebay. hand carved from wood and used for dipping water (or beer) from streams, etc. they were normally carried by means of a leather thong loop thru the uppermost hole which then was hooked to the belt. as they were exposed to view, they were usually heavily carved to show off. i thought it was cool. i also have a plain uncarved one that i use occasionally. if i ever have to sit around watching a flock of sheep, i might carve my plain one. i do like carved wood stuff. usually but not always clubs.

...now all i have to do is figure out how to disinfect the new one...who knows where it's been or what was in it.
Attached Images

kronckew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 09:16 AM   #2
corrado26

Fill it with 48% Lagavulin and all is ok
regards
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 10:24 AM   #3
kronckew

...or Lysholm Linie Aquavit

...i have a wee dram of capt.morgan spiced rum that may work too.
Old 16th October 2016, 09:05 PM   #4
Bob A

It may be apples to oranges, but a study showed that wood surfaces hold less problematic bacteria than plastic; the study was of cutting boards, which are subject to considerably more bacteria than an old drinking cup.

At any rate, the link:
http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/fa...ttingboard.htm
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 10:03 PM   #5
kronckew

i once installed some computer gear in a butcher's shop, it was in the back room where their huge wooden cutting blocks were. at the end of the day, they washed everything, walls, floors, table tops, every nook and cranny, including under the bit where i was working. they used a soap solution with bleach if i recall. the wood butchers blocks were washed, then a thin layer was planed off the top with a carpenter's plane while it was still soaking wet and then it was washed again. this was the daily routine. the family shop had been there for a hundred years or more. apparently they were on their second set of blocks. they'd only replaced the first ones a few decades ago, so the 'new' ones were good for a few more decades. they make good sausages.