Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th February 2007, 09:45 PM   #1
ABooth

Default Sword ID

I purchased this sword many years ago. It was represented as being part of a battlefield pickup after the battle of Omdurman. I would like to establish whether it is of that locality and time frame ( Sudan, 1898). The green scale is 12 inches. I have a spear and a shield that came with the sword but figured the sword would give more information. All comments are appreciated. Also can send more pictures if requested: encamp4911@mypacks.net Thanks for you attention.
Attached Images

ABooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Mark

Welcome to the forum, ABooth.

This is an interesting sword. The blade and the scabbard profile (swollen tip) are those of a kaskara, but the handle and decoration are those of a Manding sword (which are usually curved).

Many kaskara entered European collections after the battle of Omdurman, where the battlefield was reportedly littered with them. I couldn't say this is one of them, though the condition is so fine that it would not seem to have been through a battle. Maybe it was re-mounted.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 04:22 PM   #3
katana

Hi Abooth,
I think Mark is right. The condition is exceptional for a sword used in battle over 100 years ago and IMHO I feel it is much younger. If you could post close-ups of the blade it may help to date it. The link below is about the Takouba and will probably help. I have seen Manding swords with Takouba (Toureg sword) blades before (usually they (Manding) have curved sabre-like blades). Because of the trading routes that link many tribes in the North Africa, these variations are not uncommon.

Regards David

http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/takouba/index.html
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I strongly doubt the battlefield attribution to this weapon, especially in the mounts which are distinctly Manding work from Mali, as has already been noted. It should be recalled that Mali was an extremely important Saharan center in trade, and it seems to me that there are profound connections there with the trade from Eastern Africa. It seems that the guardless mounts of the Omani kattara, which also used broadsword blades from Europe as found on the kaskara, seem to compellingly suggest association to the hilt of the Manding sabre. Oman of course maintained a Sultanate in Zanzibar, whose trade not only confluenced with international powers, but entered the African mainland to trans-Saharan caravan routes.

I believe that Omani kattaras carrying their traditional broadsword blades could certainly have diffused to Mali, where the blade may have been remounted in local fashion. Most of the Manding swords of course, carry European sabre blades. It is interesting to note that Omani kattara are also known to be mounted with sabre blades.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 06:27 PM   #5
ABooth

Default Sword ID

Thank you for the helpful responses. As requested here are shots of the blade - one side and the other.
Attached Images

ABooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 03:42 AM   #6
TVV

The blade profile is diffirent that the one on takoubas, but some of them were mounted with European broadsword blades, so I wonder if this could be a local imitation of such a broadsword blade? It looks like it was certainly locally made.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote