Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th March 2024, 07:50 AM   #1
kai

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
Handle sleeves are common with North Sumatran weapons, see for example a co jang from my collection or two of the rencongs I've shown.
So is also the sleeve by the sikin panjang you found on the net rather plain but embossed (I guess) while your rencong has a crown like sleeve in combination with a plain sleeve.
The asymmetrical decor found on status gliwang is a different beast IMHO. BTW, it seems to be a mainly ceremonial luju alang (vs the longer peudeueng panjang).

A proper saruek ulat is worked into a scale-like 3D structure by embossing (on both sides) and its margins bridged by some decor elements. With this rencong, the base of the gold saruek ulat was covered by a flat calyx-like ring of suasa and the other end, too (possibly another calyx or plain ring - too little left nor imprints to verify, it seems). While most likely also originally based on the lotus symbolism, these flat, undecorated rings are a far cry from the full-fledged calyx/crowns in puco or glupa form.

I don't know whether any simple, ferrule-like ring adjacent the blade bolster (as in your rencong) would also be referred to as saruek ulat in the originating cultures (if pressed, I kinda doubt it).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2024, 10:11 AM   #2
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
The asymmetrical decor found on status gliwang is a different beast IMHO. BTW, it seems to be a mainly ceremonial luju alang (vs the longer peudeueng panjang).

A proper saruek ulat is worked into a scale-like 3D structure by embossing (on both sides) and its margins bridged by some decor elements. With this rencong, the base of the gold saruek ulat was covered by a flat calyx-like ring of suasa and the other end, too (possibly another calyx or plain ring - too little left nor imprints to verify, it seems). While most likely also originally based on the lotus symbolism, these flat, undecorated rings are a far cry from the full-fledged calyx/crowns in puco or glupa form.

I don't know whether any simple, ferrule-like ring adjacent the blade bolster (as in your rencong) would also be referred to as saruek ulat in the originating cultures (if pressed, I kinda doubt it).
Hello Kai,

I want to exprss exactly the same you stated, a sleeve isn't a saruek ulat so we can't compare the sleeve from the from Martin posted luju alang with the saruek ulat from the rencong in question!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2024, 07:10 PM   #3
kai

Thanks for clarifying, Detlef!

Actually, I believe the luju alang exhibits a genuine saruek ulat (here made from silver): It seems to have the scales in 3D.

These saruek ulat come in variety of qualities, materials, and construction details.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2024, 10:34 PM   #4
Pendita65

Kai and Detlef,

i need to re-read everything, i allready read the whole thread about the crowned rencong from a few years ago, and more and more terms i didn't know. There is a whole history behind all the decorations on rencong's. I never expected there are so many layers. For me the rencong starts to live in a way but also makes me feel like a novice in collection edged weapons.

Thank you for all the thoughts and knowledge you share on the forum with me.

Regards,

Martin
Pendita65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2024, 11:29 PM   #5
asomotif

Nice rentjong Martin !
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2024, 01:58 PM   #6
Pendita65

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif View Post
Nice rentjong Martin !