Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th August 2019, 12:40 PM   #1
chiefheadknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Just to point out the obvious: The selut does not fit the hilt. Thus, this ensemble has certainly been fiddled with and we only have the blade to go by. (Since keris fittings can be easily exchanged, being cautious if not paranoid is standard practise when appraising these blades, anyway.)

Even larger closeups from both of the assymetrical sides of the blade would be great! (Please make sure to take them directly from above and with lighting to avoid shadows as much as possible!)

Regards,
Kai
Hi Kai
i have taken a couple more pictures , it very difficult to get a good clear one ,
heres my attempt,
Thanks for evryones comments and input regarding this blade , im learning alot !
Attached Images

Last edited by chiefheadknocker; 25th August 2019 at 01:02 PM.
chiefheadknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2019, 04:40 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I doubt that this one was over zealously polished by someone outside the culture.

Looks like I have to do a little polishing though.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Many very early kris had round tangs. I agree with Gavin - not Javanese/Bali but Moro, and perhaps one of the earliest I've seen. Thank you again for posting this. Looks better than before.

It is also possible that if it has twist core, the pattern might be subtle and not so distinct. I have one from around 1800 (my estimate) that fits this catagory.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2019, 07:17 PM   #4
chiefheadknocker

Hi , when i first bought this blade i never though it could be javanese /bali , my first intsinct was moro , im no expert and so will have to go with your judgment and thanks to everyone who has put some input into solving this one , i now have the task to find an antique hilt somewhere if i ever find one at all
chiefheadknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2019, 11:08 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefheadknocker
... , i now have the task to find an antique hilt somewhere if i ever find one at all
This could need a very long time! I still look for a pommel only for this kris since this thread posted: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=archaic

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 02:37 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi chief:

Just my final comment on this one. I agree with the sentiment that this is an early form of the Moro kris, resembling a Balinese keris but more likely Moro in origin. The dimensions are also very similar to known archaic examples of the Moro kris.

I mentioned the word "transitional" above in reference to the style, and the absence of the stirrup feature is an important observation IMHO. This is how I would imagine the early Moro adaptations, but of course we don't know if this is exactly how they looked or when this sword was made. Could it be from the 16th or 17th C? Perhaps, although I also think it could be a later piece made in an earlier style. Either way, it is an important reference point for future discussion of how the Moro kris may have evolved from its keris cousins.

You seem to have a talent for finding these rare pieces! Keep searching ...

Regards,

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote