Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th May 2016, 01:58 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Afghan Jazail

Hello All.
Well, I should have said I wasn't interested. The seller of the recently posted Ottoman Tufuk said he had a couple more Ethno guns he would offer me before putting them up for auction and asked if I would be interested. And his asking price for BOTH was to good to even negotiate. So.....
This is a typical Afghan Jazail Long Gun. The barrel is 37" long smoothbore of about .67 caliber. Looks like someone cleaned the outside of the barrel sometime in the past using a chemical. The OAL is 50". The LOP is only about 10.5". So I believe this gun was possibly made for a younger man, maybe 12-14 years old. Most of these guns have a LOP of 11-12" for the male stature of the period and location. Simple brass barrel bands with probably 2-3 missing.
There is only one hairline crack in the stock in front of the lock. Otherwise, the entire gun is very solid. And, what's amazing, is all of the inlays are still present!! I can't believe it. The authentic Trade lock is in working order. Just needs a little TLC on it's internals. I have not taken the lock off yet but will do so and report back.
There are 3 items missing from the gun: 1. The ramrod is a wood replacement made by the seller. Looks OK for now, but the originals were iron. Will have to have one made. 2. The front sling attachement held by two missing barrel bands is missing. You can see the stock cut out where it use to reside. Looks lie it was missing from a long time ago. Not really anything to do about that. 3. The trigger guard is missing. There is a tiny piece of brass left where the guard was. I've located two, old original 19th Century non-military brass trigger guards that I think of of the two can be modified to fit. If not, I can have one made and aged to match. They were usually made of simple sheet brass.
Anyway, as usual, picture heavy. Comments welcome, and thanks for looking.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote