Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st March 2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Looking for history of 5160 spring steel

Alloy steel 5160 (a.k.a. AISI 5160) is a high carbon, chromium containing alloy that is often used to make excellent large knives and swords. It's main commercial use has been in the manufacture of leaf suspension springs for automobiles and trucks. In some parts of the world, such as the Philippines, these leaf springs are scavenged from old vehicles and the steel is forged into edged tools and weapons.

I have been trying to determine the history of 5160 steel, when it was first produced, and when it was first used in the leaf springs of vehicles. Have automobile springs always been made from 5160 steel? Searching the web has not yielded much information and I am obviously not looking in the right places. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction or has a pertinent reference.

Why I'm interested in the 5160 story is that the composition of the alloy and its associated properties make it very useful for large knives and swords, and if we know that this alloy has been used in a particular piece we may be able to date it more precisely. The amount of scrap 5160 available may also be a determining factor. For example, in the immediate post-WWII period huge numbers of U.S. vehicles were made redundant and abandoned or destroyed in the Philippines, at which time large amounts of scrap 5160 would have been available relative to pre-WWII.

I'm hoping you have some answers.

Regards,

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote