Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th May 2020, 05:33 PM   #1
Hombre

Default Shabriya

Should be very grateful for opinions about this one....

Best,
Stefan
Attached Images

Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 10:06 PM   #2
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre
Should be very grateful for opinions about this one....

Best,
Stefan
Hi
It's a shibriya from 1947 probably from Jordan.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 05:13 AM   #3
ariel

The 1947 date etched into the blade, but it is rather funny: Arabic Islamic numerals, but the date is written using Christian calendar:-)
Yes, most likely Jordan.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Hombre

Thank you so very much for your opinions, guys!
I bow my head for your knowledge!
Anyway, it is not a tourist knife or....

Best,
Stefan
Old 13th May 2020, 10:26 AM   #5
Kubur

Quote:
Anyway, it is not a tourist knife or....
Well if you look at our forum, you will see some bedouins in Petra with the same knives...
So it's not a tourist object but probably a colonial souvenir, many British brought back this kind of knife.
Old 13th May 2020, 10:28 AM   #6
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
The 1947 date etched into the blade, but it is rather funny: Arabic Islamic numerals, but the date is written using Christian calendar:-)
This is very common and not unusual in Jordan, Syria, Algeria, Morocco...
It's what they called the progress of colonisation.

Old 13th May 2020, 07:01 PM   #7
Sajen

Hi Stefan,

Very nice example! Would like to see pictures when it is polished up a little bit!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2020, 10:43 PM   #8
motan

Hi Stefan,
I agree with all above. Very typical style for Jordan and for the period, so 100% Jordan. As Kubur mentioned, these were produced in relatively large numbers and brought back by British soldiers as souvenirs, but were also used locally. For example, the Arab legion had them as part of their standard attire, though they were not provided by the army.
I attached a few pictures. Sorry for the quality, but I stole them from the web and you can see that. The first is of an Arab Legion soldier in full attire, the second could be from the legion, but also a Palestinian rebel judging by the rifle, which does not look British to me (?) and the black and white headgear. In the third, there are soldiers of the camel corps of the Arab Legion at a social event. You can see different styles of shibriyas, some of which are older and others are contemporary with yours.
As for the dates, Gregorian date in Arabic numerals was the standard practice in the region after WWI. Hijri dates almost always come on daggers from the Ottoman period.
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2020, 11:09 PM   #9
Kubur

Hi Guys,

Another one that I got recently.
What do you think Motan?
I would say Palestinian 1914-1918...
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2020, 08:47 AM   #10
Hombre

Thank you so very much guys for your opinions!
I really appreciate it! You are the best!!

/Stefan
Old 15th May 2020, 02:18 PM   #11
motan

Hi Kubur. Thanks for showing me this piece. I think it is a nice piece (meaning one I would like to have), but then, I am a bit crazy for this type.
After a few years of research, I know a something about classical shibriyas, but I am still trying to find out when and where all these other types from about the same region were made, without much success.
Daggers with shibriya hilt and a dog-leg type blade are known to locals and most people think they are from either Palestine, South Syria (Syrian Desert) or from Jordan. The question is if this type predates the classical shibriya or comes from areas to the north of shibriya country.
Yours could be from Palestine, but also has many features typical of early Jordanian shibriyas, like the use of thick brass sheet, the decorative band over a horn hilt and the triangular pommel with a medallion and ring. The scabbard probably had leather and that is a Syrian feature, but the lower part of the hilt and decoration of the scabbard look Palestinian. In short, I don't know, but I think that your assessment is not far from the truth, though it may very well be from late 19th c.
Artzi thinks that this is a Palestinian type and he is an authority, but I am not 100% sure. I have added a few pics from Artzi's site described as Palestinian and also some from my own pics collection.
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2020, 03:54 PM   #12
Kubur

Hi Motan,
Now I have your attention so I can post the blade.
A nice combination between the two first daggers that you posted...
Plus more from Oriental arms. Artzi is a leading dealer and expert but I saw many mistakes on his website. Nobody's perfect...
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2020, 04:03 PM   #13
Kubur

Quote:
Thank you so very much guys for your opinions!
I really appreciate it! You are the best!!

/Stefan
am I the best or Motan?

Thanks for your kind comments
Old 15th May 2020, 09:25 PM   #14
motan

Yes, you do have my attention. The perforation does make it probable that your dagger is from Palestine. It is worth noting that in Ottoman times, modern borders between Syria, Lebanon and Jordan did not exist and there was a cultural continuum between areas.
Much is still unknown. For example, the three daggers in the last picture are thought by some to be North Palestinian or Lebanese, while others say they come from the Gaza area - I have seen one with Gaza written on the blade.
Anyway, you have a nice and quite uncommon type. I added few from my own collection with perforated blades that are of somewhat later date.
Attached Images

Old 4th June 2020, 02:15 PM   #15
Kubur

Another one... not mine... but with the same kind of blade...
with a cowboy shoe pommel
Attached Images

Old 4th June 2020, 03:55 PM   #16
motan

Hi Kubur,
A nice one. Those with hooked pommel instead of a horse/camel head tend to be of better quality (earlier??). Funny that central ridge. I have one like that. It is not a part of the forging, but there are no signs that it has been soldered on the blade either.

Finally, these daggers are small and primitive and their origin is unknown beyond "likely from somewhere in Palestine". But they have been there for a while and some even have something like a reasonably forge blade.

I see that you are trying to throw us by mixing different discussions (cowboy boot??)
Attached Images