Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th July 2012, 01:49 AM   #1
archer

Default My Best Catch Ever

These Koummya started me on a quest for others, they were E bay items with a no returns limitation. I contacted the seller who agreed to allow returns, if not satisfied. They sold for the opening bid. I was sure the gold colored one was a plastic movie prop. It later tested to be 18K gilt over solid 14K gold.
Well, the original owner was T'hami El Glaoui, Berber Pasha of Marrakesh, and Lord of the Atlas Mountains. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thami_El_Glaoui T'hami was teenage hero who with his older brother saved the lives of Pasha Moulay Hassan and his army trapped in the Atlas Mountains during a blizzard. He later protected a number of Christians and Foreigners, during the Fez treaty 1912.

T'hami sent his children to live with the Bellon family and be educated in Paris, the two Families interacted visiting Marrakesh frequently. Michel Bellon and Mohammed El Glaouli, became boyhood friends. Michel Bellon was also a young teen hero in the French Resistance.

The gold dagger was presented to Michel by T’hami El Glaoui for his wartime efforts. The Silver dagger was from his friend Mohammed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJjKtiEj1a0
Michel was fourteen when his father became a leader in the French Resistance. Michel gives his accounting: On November 16, 2007, Bro. Michel Bellon gave a presentation of his life as a 14-year old within the French Resistance of Nazi-Occupied France and the Masonic leadership that had helped organized these French Patriots into the Maquis. Mr. Bellon was arrested and died in Auschwitz. Michel spoke of three Americans who supported, trained and supplied the Resistance and his eventual flight taking them to Spain and safety then on to the United States only to return to the war as an American Bomber Pilot ferrying planes in need of repairs.

I've included a photo of a very similar Koummya from the Roosevelt Library.

I can hardly believe this whole find and with provenance. Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 02:03 AM   #2
kai

Thumbs up

Congrats, Steve!

How did you link these 2 pieces with the provenance?

Please let us have a peek at the blades, too! What is their max. thickness?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 02:21 AM   #3
eric45

Very nice.
eric45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Stasa Katz

Default We all dream for this!

"Chance favors (only) the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur
Stasa Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 03:54 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Into Each Life ...

Some Sun must shine ...

Awesome purchase !
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 06:46 AM   #6
ThePepperSkull

unbelievably beautiful pieces with an equally beautiful story behind it. Congrats on a wonderful find!
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote