Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd August 2015, 06:59 AM   #1
Silver John

Hi Chris & Jens,

I thought I'd posted up a crude translation last night, but it's either still waiting for a Mods approval or it's been lost in the ether, so I'll try again.

I don't know if it'll be any help in identifying the origins, but the six characters on the top picture look like: Ri Ya S Ta Ha Taa.

Not sure about the 5th character as it's a bit blurred.

On the other example. The numbers are 1 and 4. The two characters look like Ga and Ja though there are additional marks on them (vowel diacritics? that I don't recognise)
Attached Images

Silver John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

You are right, the last number is 4 and not 8 - sorry.
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:37 AM   #3
sirupate

Some lovely swords you have there Chris, thank you for the info about Mole being bought out by Wilkinson
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:00 PM   #4
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver John
I don't know if it'll be any help in identifying the origins, but the six characters on the top picture look like: Ri Ya S Ta Ha Taa.

Not sure about the 5th character as it's a bit blurred.

On the other example. The numbers are 1 and 4. The two characters look like Ga and Ja though there are additional marks on them (vowel diacritics? that I don't recognise)
Hi Silver John,

Many thanks for posting these up, most interesting.I shall give some thought to what your translation might signify.

One of the hilts shows some letters under the crest. I will tidy this up a little and take some better quality images, as this might reveal the state of origin with any luck.

I envy your ability with deciphering the characters, I have tried many times to get my head around it, but to no avail. Your efforts are much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
Some lovely swords you have there Chris, thank you for the info about Mole being bought out by Wilkinson
Thank you Simon,

Some of them took a long time to track down.

RWL wrote a history of Wilkinson a few years back, I can try and find the details if it might be of interest?

Kind regards,

Chris
mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:23 PM   #5
mrcjgscott

Default 33rd Cavalry

Here are examples of the sword carried by the 33rd Cavalry.

The officers sword utilizes the 1821 "Honeysuckle" style guard, and the lower sword, for troopers, is based upon the 1908 cavalry sword.

If memory serves, the troopers sword was produced by B. Boota Singh and Son, of Rawalpindi. They obviously held several Indian Government contracts, as they also produced high quality kukri during WW1.
Attached Images

Last edited by mrcjgscott; 3rd August 2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:38 PM   #6
mrcjgscott

Another shot, alongside a standard British 1908.
Attached Images

Old 4th August 2015, 01:06 PM   #7
sirupate

If you could dig up the details Chris, that would be great
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 04:57 PM   #8
Silver John

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcjgscott
One of the hilts shows some letters under the crest. I will tidy this up a little and take some better quality images, as this might reveal the state of origin with any luck.
That would be interesting to see.

I do not have enough knowledge on the topic to say with any confidence, but I believe the inscription is Marathi.

When I'm attempting these translations, I write down what I think it says and then type that into a program that converts roman alphabet into a range of Indian sub continent scripts. If I get a match, I know I'm getting better! The first character, Ri, only looks like that when I select the Marathi option. It is different in Hindi, still devanagari script, just a different way of putting it together. All the other characters remain the same however.

Perhaps this is a hint that it came from Maharashtra state? Or somewhere nearby?
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:13 AM   #9
Silver John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
You are right, the last number is 4 and not 8 - sorry.
Jens
Very sorry if my last post came across as rude Jens, re-reading it I should have phrased it differently and started the post with "I think..." I am very new to these translations and still have a great deal to learn!

I also thought thought another possible translation of the 5th character (from the first pic) could be Dhaa?
Attached Images