Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th December 2022, 07:29 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default 18th Century Fleur de Lis mark on sword blades

It seems that the fluer de lis symbol has been used in many cases to mark weapons, either as makers mark or other, whether on firearms or on sword blades.
What I am looking for is this use of the FDL in the 18th century, as found on sword blades of British hangers and cutlasses. These typically have a single back fuller and are single edged, in the 29" long range.
Campbell, in "Swords from the Battlefield at Culloden" notes this FDL mark as among those found on blades from the field, many of which ended up as components of the travesty fence at Twickenham.

It is known that Thomas Hollier often had the FDL on his cutlasses (S.Comfort) in his work period, post 1726-40 (?) There are speculations that this mark was used by a number of English makers, but I only found one reference attributing same to Joseph Reason, in this time period.

It seems there were numbers of blades entering England from France in this period, in London, there was a 'Fluer de Lis ' street where bundles of blades were sold to cutlers. It is unclear whether the known blade commodities from Solingen which were well known were sold there as well.

While many of these type blades are unmarked, I am wondering if these might have come from the arsenal in Paris, where it has been suggested the FDL may have been placed as a 'state' marking.

I would like to know thoughts, examples of the fluer de lis marking on British sword blades c. 1730-80, and would really appreciate input.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2022, 08:35 PM   #2
CutlassCollector

Hi Jim, I hesitate to post this as it is perhaps not as early as you are looking for.

It is a pre 1804 cutlass with a FDL on each side of the blade and a broad arrow mark and a stylised H on the guard. Hollier?

Regards, CC
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2022, 10:26 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

WOW! yeah, THAT is exactly what I hoped to find, and perfect that it is on a double disc cutlass is outstanding. This is I believe evidence that a good number of blades were coming into England and possibly Scotland from France.
There were Solingen makers in the Alsace area (before Klingenthal) and I think St.Etienne and Tulle were making blades (not sure of details) but it has been suggested the fluer de lis may have been a 'state' mark from the arsenal in Paris.

In Nuemann, the numbers of French hangers with blades of this type with FDL on blades is compelling. In Campbell's book on the swords from Culloden, it is noted the FDL is often found on British blades of these times.

Thank you so much CC!!
Old 16th December 2022, 02:40 PM   #4
CutlassCollector

It is surprising how similar the blade of the cutlass is to the one on the Basket hilt British cavalry sword you posted. Supports the batch theory I guess.

But would the French have sold blades to Britain? Scotland, yes, but the cutlass has the broad arrow indicating government ownership and it seems unlikely that the French would sell arms to the manufacturers of their worst enemy or the Brits buy them.

The two countries were at war for most of the 18th century so perhaps it is more likely that they were manufactured at Solingen or another place using the FDL.

CC.
Old 16th December 2022, 04:53 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

True, there is a perception of France and England always being at war, however there were strong affinities between them most of the time, despite the warring issues.
In London there was a 'street' (more of an alley) called loosely 'fluer de lis' street, where in the early to mid 18th c. there were French merchants of sundry materials who had collected together in these 'business districts'. I have not found great detail, however it seems that the Huguenots escaping the religious persecution had been coming in since late 16th c.By 1720s these enclaves became more developed.

In a reference (passim, which I still cannot relocate) it was stated that in these areas, Fluer de Lis street in particular, bundles of sword blades were sold to cutlers. In England, there were few blade makers, even by 1770s there were only three in England. The primary suppliers of swords were cutlers, those who assembled swords with acquired blades and either they or other vendors supplied components such as hilts and scabbards.

While we have always presumed Solingen was the source of blades in both Scotland and England, there were blades ('Alsace') known as well, such as these with FDL. As French locations were with many Solingen smiths (much as with Hounslow and Shotley were in England) the blades were often very much the same as German.

The British fascination with French culture, fashion etc. always prevailed and often through the Royal house as well as the more covert Masonic ties, was seemingly a 'thing' even in times of war.

Here is a 'tubular grip' cutlass which as with yours prevailed from the period Hollier seems to have created the DD hilt (late 1720s) through the 18thc
By the type of blade this may be 1740s-50s but unmarked.

The basket hilt, though the guard attached 'in the Scottish manner' is clearly for British army forces and of 'dragoon' form, though the blade is relatively short for a horseman. Note the FDL on the blade, suggesting in the same 1740s period as the cutlass.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 16th December 2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old 17th December 2022, 10:03 AM   #6
M ELEY

Arrgghh! You guys are killing me with these amazing early cutlasses! Sorry, nothing to add on the possible 'French connection', but it is an interesting theory. I've got to get me one of these!!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2022, 12:39 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY View Post
Arrgghh! You guys are killing me with these amazing early cutlasses! Sorry, nothing to add on the possible 'French connection', but it is an interesting theory. I've got to get me one of these!!
Thank you Capn!!! no addition needed, your presence here is just the right salt in the air adding to this discussion

CC, I think that H on the guard might just be a marking convention used by Hollier, but I havent found specific reference to verify.
Old 17th December 2022, 09:18 PM   #8
CutlassCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Thank you Capn!!! no addition needed, your presence here is just the right salt in the air adding to this discussion

CC, I think that H on the guard might just be a marking convention used by Hollier, but I havent found specific reference to verify.
Hi Jim,

I have been looking as well and have not found another H like that but I did find this link which will take you to another Hollier with the full name used as a mark. Interesting comparison between Brit cutlasses and the US Starr 1808. Looks earlier but makes me think H may not be Hollier after all.

https://americansocietyofarmscollect...DS-vol-123.pdf

Hey Capn, this cutlass not in my collection unfortunately but a lot nearer you. The pictures from a dealer in the US - his private collection, so not yet for sale!

CC
Old 19th December 2022, 12:04 AM   #9
M ELEY

Thank you, David. I'll be on the lookout! Also thanks for this amazing article! I'll print it for my records when I get the chance!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote