Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th September 2019, 03:13 PM   #331
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

A note here in support of new materials for hilts where I show a poly ceramic form that looks exactly like Ivory and accepts silver nails in the same way without cracking and does not break when dropped.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 04:04 PM   #332
Edster

Thanks for the thoughtful answers. They round out the khanjar's role within its social context.
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 07:45 PM   #333
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Some thought has been put into the belt ...an old style to match this set.
Attached Images

Old 17th September 2019, 07:53 PM   #334
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Here are some old belts as examples ~
Attached Images

Old 25th September 2019, 07:19 AM   #335
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

A Word on Blades. (#257 also Refers.)

The excellent work at Omanisilver.com mentions Omani Khanjar Blades as being historically imported from Solingen and as essentially basic blades. Indeed I have seldom seen (until recently) examples of anything other than standard basic quality except on the odd occasion of a Wootz derivative turning up. I know of one Russian importer who specializes in such blades. I have also heard of mysterious blades made from falling meteorites etc etc. The process local people go through is also quite amazing with taste smell and musical note when struck with a flicked finger nail and whether or not a blade and khanjar can be lifted by the very point of the blade between finger and thumb...
Therefor since these are passed down structures I suggest that these methods are mythical (although interesting) . I have never actually seen a failed blade...After all their main purpose is fairly simple thus a basic blade is actually fine.

Blades below from Khanjar Shops. One illustrates blades with some degree of treatment either to the surface or Wootz while the other are the more common form; simple and basic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 25th September 2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 7th October 2019, 02:36 PM   #336
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Much of the designs used in decorating Omani Khanjars are not recorded and in fact the techniques are mainly done with a hammer and a 6 inch nail thus students trying to observe a technique often cannot find research …

There isn't any\much except here at EAA and on the remarkable website at http://www.khanjar.om/Materials.html.

Here are some further clues in Silver Omani Jewellery pieces … Please see https://britishmuseum.org/pdf/BMTRB_..._and_Meeks.pdf

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 7th October 2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 6th November 2019, 04:11 PM   #337
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Reference:
A. http://www.khanjar.om/Types.html

I have been on the lookout for a certain style of Yemeni dagger which I knew was almost identical to a rarely seen omani variant from the Dhofar Region. Here it is and you may note the main giveaway is the belt...a simple leather style but in the case of the scabbard another hint to its origin using script hammered in near the top. The decorative silver almost birdlike winged structure decorates the top half of the scabbard. The hilt appears to be high density fibre of some sort..Reference A shows the Omani variant and under three different names usually Genoobi (Southern) is used for this style.

A YEMENI DAGGER ON A YEMENI BELT IN OMAN.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 6th November 2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 18th November 2019, 08:34 AM   #338
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

This one is quite remarkable for its superb balance in design and particularly the crown at the end of the scabbard and the decoration at the lower hilt and on the top part of the scabbard which are all matching in a beautiful scroll style with blackened pattern almost in the style of neillo.
my instinct says a dagger from the Interior...because of all the leather below the belt...The design on the lower scabbard is similar to human form amulets from Adam in the Dhakilliyya...The interior.
Attached Images

Old 18th November 2019, 11:23 AM   #339
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

It may be remembered that the Royal Khanjar is formed by a Royal Hilt ...Not by the number of rings or the scabbard style but by the Hilt Form so what is this?

It is a Royal Khanjar.

(#327 SHOWS A SIMILAR SCABBARD WITH A LOT OF LEATHER SHOWING MARKING IT AS AN INTERIOR WEAPON... THE DHAKILLIYA)
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 18th November 2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 30th November 2019, 10:09 AM   #340
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

SEE THE VARIETY IN COLOUR ON THESE HILTS WHICH ARE AFRICAN GIRAFFE...
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 30th November 2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 30th November 2019, 10:12 AM   #341
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

A Major breakthrough has been developed in reproduction hilts using horsehair ...virtually identical to a Rhino and I suspect very similar to Giraffe... please see the document covered by Mi, R., Shao, Z.Z. & Vollrath, F. Creating artificial Rhino Horns from Horse Hair. Sci Rep 9, 16233 (2019) doi:10.1038/s41598-019-52527-5 at

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-52527-5

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 30th November 2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 26th December 2019, 08:43 AM   #342
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Occasionally I see designs that I seem to recognize but that I have never seen applied on khanjars ~ this is one of them and is both dramatic and well balanced ...but what is the Scabbard design from?

(The writing simply says this is already sold)
Attached Images

Old 26th December 2019, 05:16 PM   #343
Battara
EAAF Staff

Interesting the variety of giraffe grips.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2019, 07:27 AM   #344
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams Battara, In order of priority it is something like Rhino, Ivory, Giraffe, scented wood, olive then plastic....then it deteriorates dramatically to bog standard wood ..there may be the odd horn I haven't seen but the top three have dominated hilts for probably centuries. The confusion now lifted between rhino and giraffe and the name puzzle described earlier has also thrown collectors for ages. The point about these hilts is that Giraffe horn takes all the pins a rhino hilt would take but is duller under light than Rhino...
My earlier note outlines the breakthrough in the use of treated horsehair (tail hair) which is just as good as Rhino and Giraffe but a fraction of the price could set a precedent..although some would say it makes no difference. I would like to see it tried and an example launched for all to see.
Old 27th December 2019, 10:59 AM   #345
Richard G

The scabbard cover next to the chape (Qub'a ?) reminds me of a the stylised christian fish symbol.
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 09:26 AM   #346
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

There are many examples of rectangular geometry in Omani silver work and in the khanjar waist belt decoration and on Khanjar scabbards . Below I show one stylistic signature from Said the Great that seems to suggest a possible link...I add similar sword hilt geometric designs and in the rectangular silver adornment from the region of south Nizwa; Adam in a style of Djinn often seen on necklaces; protecting the wearer.
Attached Images

Old 20th January 2020, 10:05 PM   #347
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I thought this Omani Khanjar looked well balanced and nicely worked>>> It came with a few clues such as the hilt in Zraff Afrique which as you know is Rhino . It is a post 1970 weapon as it has the Omani Crest stamped on the belt links...
Attached Images

Old 22nd January 2020, 07:53 PM   #348
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Here is an unusual Omani Khanjar with a weave in gilded cord to the main curve in the Scabbard See 328 for a silvered cord weave. For similar silver work see 1 27 107 128 144 203 223 236 268 … here on thread>
this appears as quite unusual as this is a 4 Ringer.

WHAT IS IT CALLED AND WHAT KIND OF HILT WILL IT CARRY??
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 22nd January 2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:42 PM   #349
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

The above khanjar scabbard appears to be ready to accept The Al Saidi Dagger even though it is a 4 ringer... Remember that Royal Al Saidi Khanjars are designated by the hilt although it is often assumed there is influence in the scabbard as well...but technically the scabbard is nothing to do with it...Only the Hilt. Thus scabards are 4or 7 rings and there are some khanjars with more and even some with two) The simple fact is that before this style was invented by one of the rulers wives in about 1830 the Muscat khanjar had 7 rings and that the scabbard was adorned as it is today and unchanged... the only redone item or component was the hilt said to incorporate Indian design elements … the new fresh look said to have been done to brighten the day of the ruler. you may all remember that something similar happened in the sayf yemaani when it was iconized ..with a similar hilt.

It stands to reason therefor that the apparently fancy scabbard does not designate al saidi khanjar born out by simply looking at 347 which has that scabbard but not the hilt.. so it is probably a Muscat weapon...

Please see http://www.khanjar.om/Materials.html for an exacting description of coloured yarn useage in these scabbards ….and other materials.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 23rd January 2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 13th February 2020, 01:36 PM   #350
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I have never seen one of these variants with quite the hilt decoration and shape ...thus I should be quiet and take your ideas..perhaps http://www.khanjar.om/Materials.html has some clue to the style?
Attached Images

Old 15th February 2020, 05:33 PM   #351
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Having looked at this odd species I assume the hilt simply isn't finished or that the new owner will round off the pommel or go for a Tee shaped style instead..What I do know is the material of the hilt .. It's Giraffe or as it has been called for centuries Zraff Hindi which roughly means Indian Rhino...which of course we now realise actually means African Giraffe.
Old 16th February 2020, 10:05 PM   #352
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Just a note to echo what is a relatively new type of fastener and buckle holder, often seen with the post 1970 Omani emblem of two curved bladed swords which appeared at about the same time as the demise of Saaid the Great in 1856 and via Zanzibar and combined with the Omani Khanjar but not used as an emblem until 1970 on the takeover by the previous ruler.
Attached Images

Old 16th February 2020, 10:23 PM   #353
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

The belt with the dominant black leather showing more likely to be associated with a UAE dagger but may be seen on interior weapons Dhakiliyya...an area linked in history in this part of the world..The Weapon is an Omani Bussaidi Royal Khanjar.
Attached Images

Old 16th February 2020, 11:51 PM   #354
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I wanted to revisit this peculiar weapon which resembles its Yemeni cousin at #337 yet is distinct in two quite different regions in Oman ...The Dhofar region around Salalah in Southern Oman and the Sharqiyyah in the East of Oman...#350. all the above may usually be seen on a simple leather belt although I have seen Omani items on a silvered belt. The Yemeni variant is also often inscribed with script on either the front or back. I have also see a second belt on the Omani weapon with bullet slots often for Martini Henry Ammo.
In the weapons illustrated you can notice the central spine of the blade flanked by two other fullers not normally seen on other blades. It is assumed these are imported as are 99% of Omani Khanjar blades either from Solingen Germany or perhaps India or Yemen.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 17th February 2020 at 12:02 AM.
Old 27th February 2020, 07:47 PM   #355
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Here I place some pictures of the new tendency to build multiple daggers around the same scabbard. There is no hard and fast rule on this method although the Genoobi form will not fit the profile of the usual Northern Omani hilt. What is interesting is the use of the Royal "Busaidi" hilt on either the 7 ringer or 4 ringer scabbard... and since it is the hilt that determines that style not the scabbard; this is entirely correct.
It may also be noted that in creating the al Busaidi hilt on the old Omani Battle Sword or Saif Yemaani it is only the hilt which is given that configuration in circa 1840 AD which determines its form... The same applies to the Busaidi Khanjar... Just the hilt!
Attached Images

Old 29th February 2020, 12:31 PM   #356
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Suri Khanjar (From Sur)

This smaller and typically well balanced Weapon is from the famous coastal city of Sur. The pattern is chequered in silver geometry sewed onto the leather scabbard . The belt outer rings are rather in the newer fashion of twisted silver decoration ...Some like ..others don't. The hilt is Giraffe horn.
Attached Images

Old 29th February 2020, 07:49 PM   #357
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

On blades which you would think everything that could be written has been written there is scarce proof absolute of the origin of manufacture... Suffice to say however is that the point of manufacture was probably split between Sanaa in Yemen and India and Persia.

There is support in some quarters that German blades entered the equation and I cannot say why not although no blades I have seen confirm nor deny this possibility and none I have ever seen are struck with makers marks as such.

It is a fact that Omani Khanjar blades have no marks stamped or chiseled into them. Some as seen on these pages have variation in the central raised rib in that some have flanking grooves placed either side of the main rib seen at #354 while some have three distinct ribs like this one below called The One with three (grooves?)... a parallel description of an Omani sword with three of these..

And so for now we go with the idea of Persia, India, Yemen and Germany as the origin of provision of Omani Khanjar blades although I have heard rumours that some were locally made and some were made from meteorites...and others from Johor or wootz material (this is true in part because Russian blades in wootz are today available)...Personally however, I think myths may have crept into the mix but record this post as "interesting" for later study and confirmation.
Attached Images

Old 29th February 2020, 10:09 PM   #358
Edster

It's interesting that all the blades seem to have the same dimensions and curve profile. Also, except for the Royal hilted the scabbard is the seat of distinctive design and embellishment as well as amounts of labor and silver (cost).

What is the name and significance of the conical pieces next to the rings?

Thanks for sharing!!!

Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 07:04 AM   #359
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Reference:
A. http://www.khanjar.om/Materials.html
B. http://omanisilver.com

Thank you Ed, The regional general designs are tuned to a central likeness with specific designs from area to area. The linked websites of omanisilver.com and the website with the Omani Khanjar thesis break these down from each region as seen at references above.…

The conical shapes have two names hat or shield of which I prefer to choose the latter; Terrs… In the Khanjar dance a Shield or Terrs is used in the performance which is in the traditions or Funoon.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st March 2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 15th March 2020, 08:54 PM   #360
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

We know that the main traded items entering the Zanzibar hub were Slaves ..Rhino Horn and hides and Ivory. It has been quite difficult to obtain Ivory Khanjar examples with specific high definition pictures but luckily we have a couple for forum. High density plastic has been used and makes a reasonable substitute however here is the real thing and we can only hope more substitute materials can step up such as Mamoth ?…
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 15th March 2020 at 09:05 PM.