Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th January 2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question Melanesian dance? club.

I actually got paid for some work end of last year and as it is my birthday in a few days I have induldged myself again, the last time for the near future. Not cheap . Where from? Not old in Indian terms. Looks like a dance club? You could also hit somebody with it I suppose. It was listed as Pupuan or New Britain. The only reference I have with regards to the pommel is the New Hebrides "Vanuatu" or the spike on the top Solomons. I do have reference as to the club head as Papuan. Any other suggestions? 112cm long 2kg so could be a good thumper.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 05:11 AM   #2
fearn

That's certainly an odd one. A line of them as balusters on a stair would be amazing.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Looks like it is New Britain. According to the seller the black club head not including the spike is 10" long and 4" wide. When I look at the one in the link it seems that I have done rather well.

http://www.bcgalleries.com.au/tribalArt/viewItem/t4887

This one also shown in a very I'll have the shirt off your back too, sir kind of way.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 6th January 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 7th January 2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

For those interested in this sort of thing I have these pictures "Arnoldsche, Form Colour Insperation , Oceanic Art from New Britain" It looks like my club might have been a weapon but it could still have been danced with more than head bashing, if ever.
Attached Images

Old 7th January 2011, 09:51 PM   #5
fearn

Nice to have more information. I'm trying to ignore any potential double entendres involved with decorating a bridegroom's club for a wedding.

Best,

F

Last edited by fearn; 8th January 2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 8th January 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

CONGRADULATIONS A NICE CLUB WITH GOOD WORKMANSHIP AND IN PERFECT CONDITION.
THERE HAVE BEEN FERTILITY CEREMONIES FOR CROPS, LIVESTOCK OR CHILDREN TO MAKE THE TRIBE STRONG AND CONTINUE THE FAMILY SINCE BEFORE RECORDED HISTORY. IT IS NOT UNUSUAL FOR MANS CREATIONS TO RESEMBLE THE ACTUAL OBJECTS INVOLVED . THESE CEREMONIES FOR LUCK OR TO GAIN THE FAVOR OF THEIR GOD OR GODS WERE COMMON TO MANY SOCIETYS. SOME OBJECTS SERVED OTHER PURPOSES SUCH AS WAR CLUB , ECT. AND OTHERS WERE ONLY FOR CEREMONY.
THE SMALL PHALLIC AX IN A PREVIOUS POST MAY HAVE BEEN ONE OF THESE OBJECTS USED ONLY FOR CEREMONY. IT DIDN'T STRIKE ME AS SOMETHING THAT WOULD HAVE ENJOYED WIDE POPULARITY WITH TOURISTS.
PRICES ON GOOD CLUBS HAVE TAKEN A BAD TURN FOR COLLECTORS OF (LIMITED MEANS= (ANYONE WHO IS NOT A MULTI MILLIONARE) ONCE THEY MOVE FROM EBAY OR THE GUN SHOWS AND ENTER THE ETHINOGRAPHIC ART GALLERY OR WORLD OF SOUTHBYS AND CHRISTIES ECT THEY ARE LOST FOREVER TO MIDDLE CLASS COLLECTORS.
EVEN EBAY PRICES HAVE BEEN ARTIFICIALLY INFLATED I HAVE SEEN CLUBS I BID A FAIR PRICE ON SAY 3 TO 4 HUNDRED REAPPEAR ON EBAY FOR 1 TO 2 THOUSAND. IF YOUR PURPOSE IN COLLECTING IS FOR INVESTMENT ITS NOT A GOOD TIME TO INVEST IN CLUBS BETTER TO BUY GOLD.

Last edited by VANDOO; 8th January 2011 at 12:35 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 10:48 PM   #7
fearn

Thanks Vandoo,

Sigh! we'd better start watching for forgeries, too.

Best,

F
Old 12th January 2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

I now have this big boy, the pictures do not do it justice. I need some time to show it in its full glory. It really is one strike and your out.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Tim Simmons

My wife warned me that not everybody would see the funny side to my Cerne Abbas Giant impression but this picture gives some idea of the club.
Attached Images

Old 13th January 2011, 05:42 PM   #10
fearn

Not the right posture for Cerne Abbas (sadly), but it is a magnificent club nonetheless.

Congrats,

F