Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th May 2021, 08:27 AM   #1
Iain

Default A European bladed dha

This one is a bit of a mystery and has quite a few unusual features. The blade is a Samuel Harvey from a mid 18th century hanger. Of course European blades do occasionally turn up in dha but the hilting is also quite intriguing on this one. It may well be from a region like Assam. It is certainly an old one. It actually handles very well, light, fast and the hilt is very nicely executed.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2021, 12:44 PM   #2
David R

I have a real liking for these hybrid pieces, whichever way round they are put together.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2021, 02:33 PM   #3
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I have a real liking for these hybrid pieces, whichever way round they are put together.
Thanks David, I also enjoy these, southeast Asia in the 18th century was a fascinating place and its not hard to imagine how a hanger came to be placed in native mounts between the operations of trading companies and their militaries as well as the penchant for Europeans to find places in local courts and militaries. At the end of the day good steel is good steel and always appreciated.
Old 20th May 2021, 12:16 PM   #4
CNK1

Hello,

really nice exemple ! The blade looks to carry a "Passau Wolf" marking, isn't it ?

Best regards
Attached Images

CNK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2021, 12:40 PM   #5
Norman McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNK1 View Post
The blade looks to carry a "Passau Wolf" marking, isn't it ?
Hi,
This is the so called running fox mark usually associated with Samuel Harvey a Birmingham manufacturer.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Iain,

I've been holding back in replying on this one until I could do some research to look for a similar example. Sadly, I have not found one.

This is a very unusual sword. The blade, as you noted, appears to be European in origin and is quite pitted from age and use. However, the hilt has me more intrigued. The grip tapers down approaching the pommel, and overall the central wooden section seems to have been turned on a lathe. The flanking ferrules appear to be silver, with some minimal twisted wire filigree ornamentation and a few engraved floral designs.

I have seen two similarly hilted swords, with grips that tapered like the subject of this post, but they had only a single (brass) ferrule adjacent to the blade. Those examples had straight blades with square tips. I have been unable to identify where they were from, but it has been suggested by others that they may be from the part of Yunnan adjacent to Jingpho (Kachin) areas in Burma. Another possibility may be NE India, including Assam.

While the subject of this thread has some similarities to mainland SE Asian dha, I don't think it is a dha as generally defined in those countries. Although the sword lacks a guard, the hilt and its decorations seem atypical for Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Very interesting sword.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2021, 02:37 PM   #7
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Iain,

I've been holding back in replying on this one until I could do some research to look for a similar example. Sadly, I have not found one.

This is a very unusual sword. The blade, as you noted, appears to be European in origin and is quite pitted from age and use. However, the hilt has me more intrigued. The grip tapers down approaching the pommel, and overall the central wooden section seems to have been turned on a lathe. The flanking ferrules appear to be silver, with some minimal twisted wire filigree ornamentation and a few engraved floral designs.

I have seen two similarly hilted swords, with grips that tapered like the subject of this post, but they had only a single (brass) ferrule adjacent to the blade. Those examples had straight blades with square tips. I have been unable to identify where they were from, but it has been suggested by others that they may be from the part of Yunnan adjacent to Jingpho (Kachin) areas in Burma. Another possibility may be NE India, including Assam.

While the subject of this thread has some similarities to mainland SE Asian dha, I don't think it is a dha as generally defined in those countries. Although the sword lacks a guard, the hilt and its decorations seem atypical for Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Very interesting sword.
Hi Ian,

I thought you might find this one intriguing, I very much agree with your comments, it is both strangely a dha and at the same time quite atypical of any commonly seen dha types. The decorative elements remind me in some ways of work more typically seen on Tibetan items than anything common in Burma, while the tapering of the grip is usual unusual for Burma or Yunnan. The blade is rather thin at the spine compared to a standard dha (of course owing to its origin) but the entire sword is in fact quite a harmonious creation with a wonderfully light feel in the hand.

I would be curious to see the two examples you have mentioned, tapering handles are not unknown, but I cannot recall seeing an example with both a taper to the pommel and then the pommel swelling in this manner. The workmanship is quite good throughout. The blade is certainly no mystery and a readily identifiable pattern.

As with many of these swords it will likely prove quite difficult to pinpoint a geographical area precisely.
Old 21st May 2021, 11:16 AM   #8
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Here is a hanger of mine, the so called 1742 Pattern, minus the the boat shell guard which I believe was a contemporary alteration. As you can see it has the 'running fox' mark without the H. Other manufacturers are believed to have used the 'running fox' symbol as well as Harvey.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2021, 03:00 PM   #9
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick View Post
Hi,
Here is a hanger of mine, the so called 1742 Pattern, minus the the boat shell guard which I believe was a contemporary alteration. As you can see it has the 'running fox' mark without the H. Other manufacturers are believed to have used the 'running fox' symbol as well as Harvey.
Regards,
Norman.
A lovely example Norman, as you note not all of these were from Harvey and among these hanger patterns I've noticed various subtle degrees of curvature, length, fullering etc. Mine seems to be rather straight in profile for example.