Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th July 2021, 02:23 PM   #1
psingh123

Default help with inscription

Hi Guys,

Can someone assist with this cartouche translation?

full tulwar images coming!

much appreciated!
Attached Images

psingh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2021, 07:03 PM   #2
psingh123

Bump - anyone
Old 2nd August 2021, 04:33 PM   #3
Mercenary

I apologize that this is not a translation, but only a few thoughts. This is an Indian work that has two explanations. Researchers who believe in goodness argue that such design is the work of Indian Shiites, who do not know the language and spelling well. Realist researchers believe it is just the additional decoration before selling an item to a non-Indian. Such pseudo cartouches in the Indian style are found even on good Persian blades.
But in both cases it was in the 19th century.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:31 AM   #4
psingh123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
I apologize that this is not a translation, but only a few thoughts. This is an Indian work that has two explanations. Researchers who believe in goodness argue that such design is the work of Indian Shiites, who do not know the language and spelling well. Realist researchers believe it is just the additional decoration before selling an item to a non-Indian. Such pseudo cartouches in the Indian style are found even on good Persian blades.
100% agree! Would be interesting to know if it did mean something though! I'm sure someone can make out parts of it!!
Old 5th August 2021, 08:52 AM   #5
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
The koftgari masters are not necessary very literate and in most cases just copy an older script/pattern or simply reproduce it from memory.

And this is valid for late 19th century koftgari as it is for early 17th century.

So, in my opinion, the correctness of a text cannot be seen as an indicator of whether it was originally applied or it was added later.

I believe a much more accurate indicator of the age is the condition of the koftgari and more specifically the condition of the crosshatch beneath the inlay.

Last but not least, the same way koftgari decorated blades are more appealing for the European collectors, so are they for the Indian customers. So, koftgari was added on the blades throughout the 17th, 18th and 19th century (when it became more fashionable), not only on blades for the foreign customers but also on blades for locals. And whether it was originally applied or was added later, koftgari forms an intrinsic part of the cultural heritage of the blade.

PS: Lovely wootz pattern. Looking forward for photos of the whole blade.

Last edited by mariusgmioc; 5th August 2021 at 09:40 PM.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 08:06 PM   #6
psingh123

Sounds about right!