Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 2nd March 2023, 12:53 PM   #31
JoeCanada42

I don't like cheap militia swords of the copied type assembled with whatever cheap taichi blade or wall hanger was lying around , such as this one which had seen much better days and sold as old..
i show it ,pictured next to a true wen Jian, my red dragon could cut this one in half all day long
Attached Images

Old 2nd March 2023, 01:25 PM   #32
JoeCanada42

my full length wen jian, not wu jian , has a good fuller, and the integrity isn't ruined by brass dots.
here's another photo
this is a sword sold as one that people wait years and look everyday for...
Attached Images

Old 2nd March 2023, 03:26 PM   #33
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCanada42 View Post
my full length wen jian, not wu jian , has a good fuller, and the integrity isn't ruined by brass dots.
here's another photo
this is a sword sold as one that people wait years and look everyday for...
I am speechless!
Old 2nd March 2023, 05:37 PM   #34
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
I have been collecting now over twenty years and know a little bit about the area I collect but even after all the years and the little knowledge I've gathered I can get fooled.
I've only been collecting a couple of years and my "oops box", as someone here once described it, has filled up depressingly quickly. (but also )
Old 2nd March 2023, 07:53 PM   #35
JoeCanada42

found an old photo the " shaolin " handle style
from a youtube video , it talks about the different Jian fittings

also a photo of the ways I feel it is held, the guard functions as a stopper and part of the grip on certain moves
Attached Images

Old 2nd March 2023, 09:29 PM   #36
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Joe, believe Gav or not, it's your choice. And for sure you can purchase treasures by epray but others also search there but to find the treasures you have to know your stuff.
I have been collecting now over twenty years and know a little bit about the area I collect but even after all the years and the little knowledge I've gathered I can get fooled.
Gav is a dealer, he knows his stuff well enough, you don't need to be skeptical.
Be happy that he told you the truth, there are other people here like Peter Decker for example, ask him by pm, I am sure that he will tell you the same.
Some others may don't join in because they are only smiling.
Sorry for my open words, it's not personal meant.

Regards,
Detlef
Thank you Detlef, I appreciate your comments. It is a place of learning and we all learn from each post.

My words and insights about this sword may have been dry but were never intended to offend, but being affronted in the manner that was forthcoming, it was clear there is not going to be any change to belief about these swords.

I've no dog in this fight, to what end... but the good news is, the "good stuff" can be left for others.

To quote a resident expert of Chinese arms, a member within these pages, "it is about as kosher as a ham sandwich" ... afterall, it was he who helped me and a client out with a better presented modern Jian many years ago... for which a full refund was received...

Two words, Shaver Cool.....

Gav
Old 2nd March 2023, 10:17 PM   #37
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
Thank you Detlef, I appreciate your comments. It is a place of learning and we all learn from each post.

My words and insights about this sword may have been dry but were never intended to offend, but being affronted in the manner that was forthcoming, it was clear there is not going to be any change to belief about these swords.

I've no dog in this fight, to what end... but the good news is, the "good stuff" can be left for others.

To quote a resident expert of Chinese arms, a member within these pages, "it is about as kosher as a ham sandwich" ... afterall, it was he who helped me and a client out with a better presented modern Jian many years ago... for which a full refund was received...

Two words, Shaver Cool.....

Gav
Hi Gav,

Nothing to thank! We both commented with good intent, I personally know next to nothing about jians but have handled some of these recently made swords and was able to see some real ones, some in person and a few with good pictures. You will have handled much more and will have had a good 'teacher'. Both we want to be helpful, but some people seems not willing to learn, I ask myself only why such people ask for??
I just don't want to waste my time anymore with a man who gets personal.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:06 PM   #38
kai

Thumbs down going downhill

Joe,

Quote:
do u shave arms? girly.. or are u born naturally girly?
this is what mans arms look like, a sign of IQ
Please avoid stereotypes. Remember, this forum is not only for white old men and we do have female members (more would be great as well as adding even more diversity in general).

Quote:
you didn't have to get personal
Nobody was getting personal on you here: Every community has its inside jokes and anecdotes - the classic threads should be mandatory reading for new forumites: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3699

Gav was referring to the "Shaver Kool" episode:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160422...ML/000140.html

It also does help to utilize the search function which brings up enough hits for "Shaver Cool" to avoid any misinterpretations...

Regards,
Kai
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:12 PM   #39
Sajen

Quote:
seems you are in the wrong, you are the ones who got personal.....
Please show me where I got personal!!

Quote:
you are here to influence the market, and to advertise your business, your opinion is biased, and shouldn't be allowed, you are not furthering any study or discussion you are just taking advantage (or looking out for your buddy Saj?)
I am not interested to influence the market, first I am not really interested in jians, secondly I am myself a collector, not a dealer.

Quote:
I guess an honest person is more apt to recognize an honest seller and an honest antique(even if its looking and quacking like a duck). this is why i have the luck, and you search every day.
Lucky you! Get happy with your "antiques"!

BTW, this will be the last time that I correspond with you, better I speak with my cats!
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:12 PM   #40
JoeCanada42

being affronted in the manner that was forthcoming it was much easier to assume it was a double entendre.
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:27 PM   #41
JoeCanada42

kai,
I have no desire and prolly wont look up shaver cool, using an inside joke is in bad taste,

"the classic threads should be mandatory reading for new forumites"

sounds tough but for the sake of those who don't we should not joke at their expense particulary when its obvious buttons are being pushed.

saj,

"but some people seems not willing to learn, I ask myself only why such people ask for??"
this is where you got personal first

I was sharing photos and ideas and people come with an agenda that's how I felt and that's my opinion and hopefully this is the last of it. and hopefully people will give useful help. if you can show me a reason this is definitely more new and not worth research that would be a help thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 01:00 AM   #42
Gavin Nugent

You've had one of the world's leading authorities on the subject matter provide you with insights here.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=26884&page=3

It is OK, many here, myself included have been caught in such delemias as I have expressed. It is part of collecting.

Nothing has changed, nor can history and facts be changed about what these swords are.

I can appreciate your passion, insults not so much but whatever gets you through the day. I've been there with other items and within these pages too... I could have barked up the proverbial tree all day, it wasn't going to change the facts...nor did it. it is not going to rewrite the history books, some of which I've shared here with you.

Best analogy I can think of right now...It's like asking a day trader who manages a 7 figure account, someone who is at the pinnacle of their game and how they got there, ask what were their greatest lessons were, their answers are simple... the losses, we all take them, we move, life goes on...
Closed Thread