Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st January 2007, 04:57 PM   #1
HUSAR

Default some pictures from museum...

Dear Members!
I just came back from arms&armor museum located in my city, I thought that some of the items you may find interesting....
Best
Husar
Attached Images

HUSAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 09:38 PM   #2
S.Al-Anizi

Thanks for the pic HUSAR, thats a very strange, and nice pair of mail pants.
S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Joe

Very cool!

Any details on number 220?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 11:14 AM   #4
HUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Very cool!

Any details on number 220?
sorry no museum descriptions are very enigmatic like eastern sword or karabela etc etc....
maybe this evening I will post some more
Best
Husar
Old 22nd January 2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Bill M

Could you please give the name of the city and the Museum? Looks like a good place to visit.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 11:29 AM   #6
HUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Could you please give the name of the city and the Museum? Looks like a good place to visit.
Muzum Wojska Polskiego so "Museum of the Polish Army" Poznan, Poland
just 250 km away from Berlin. You are welcome there are some few other even better like small castle near Poznan
http://www.zamkipolskie.com/korni/korni.html
Old 22nd January 2007, 12:07 PM   #7
wolviex

Thank you for the very interesting pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Al-Anizi
Thanks for the pic HUSAR, thats a very strange, and nice pair of mail pants.
Persian ones. Very interesting because almost identical are in my museum and you can find it in catalogue Arcydziela Sztuki Perskiej / Masterpieces of Persian Art. Dating of such trousers is usually limited to 17th and 18th century. In H. R. Robinson's Oriental Armour you can find very fine exemple on Plate III A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
If you're planning visit to far away Poland, Poznan is indeed very beautiful city you should see. But first of all visit my Krakow (Cracow, Cracovia) (sorry Damian for making such diversion in your thread )
In Krakow you can find one of the biggest arms exhibition with beautiful weapons from Medieval to II WW with quite huge 16th-18th c. department and many edged weapons in there (National Museum). You shouldn't miss Armoury in Czartoryski Museum and Wawel Royal Castle collection too.
Other cities to see are Warszawa (Warsaw), Wroclaw and Gdansk (Danzig). In Warsaw you'll find the biggest army museum in Poland. Other cities are a must for sightseeng
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 12:51 PM   #8
HUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolviex
Thank you for the very interesting pictures.

Persian ones. Very interesting because almost identical are in my museum and you can find it in catalogue Arcydziela Sztuki Perskiej / Masterpieces of Persian Art. Dating of such trousers is usually limited to 17th and 18th century. In H. R. Robinson's Oriental Armour you can find very fine exemple on Plate III A.

If you're planning visit to far away Poland, Poznan is indeed very beautiful city you should see. But first of all visit my Krakow (Cracow, Cracovia) (sorry Damian for making such diversion in your thread )
In Krakow you can find one of the biggest arms exhibition with beautiful weapons from Medieval to II WW with quite huge 16th-18th c. department and many edged weapons in there (National Museum). You shouldn't miss Armoury in Czartoryski Museum and Wawel Royal Castle collection too.
Other cities to see are Warszawa (Warsaw), Wroclaw and Gdansk (Danzig). In Warsaw you'll find the biggest army museum in Poland. Other cities are a must for sightseeng
Unfortunately
Wolviex is right Krakow museums are great and really worth to visit ! our in Poznan is much smaller but still has some tasty examples

some more .....
Attached Images

Last edited by HUSAR; 22nd January 2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 22nd January 2007, 06:26 PM   #9
B.I

Damian, your museum shows some wonderful pieces, which should not be compared to any other museum, as it easily stands proud on its own (no offence meant, Michal )
We would love to see more, if possible, including Polish as well as eastern.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 06:51 PM   #10
FenrisWolf

Is there a historical basis as to why a museum in Poland shows such a heavy emphasis on Middle Eastern arms and armor? They are beautiful examples, but not surely not native to the region?

Fenris
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 07:58 PM   #11
wolviex

Dear Brian!
Of course I didn't want to exalt my museum over the Poznan Military Museum - no way. I was reffering to the other thread of Bill, and just wanted to add few more places to his list called "must see" .

In fact, this museum Damian is kindly presenting to us, is one of the most important in Poland. It doesn't have to be big to be important. There are also some great people, very active and scholarly well prepared to work with this fine pieces, thought I have to add that they are more active on other fields of military history like orders and badges, uniforms and flags.

On the new pictures I would like to comment the Bechter we can see on third and fourth picture, made of plates and chainmails, with visible medalion in the middle. This piece is one of the finest examples of such armours in the world, through many years kept... o well, in my museum in Krakow . But with the decision of Ministry of Culture in the years of People Republic it was gave to Poznan, while it is strictly attached to this city, and to be exact, made there in the half of the 16th century. The second, very fine bechter is kept still in my, Krakow's, National Museum.

Hi Fenris. In fact eastern and mostly Turkish and Persian armaments were very popular in Poland in 17-18th centuries. Many weapons were made in Persian or Turkish fashion, noblemen paid big money to get them, etc.
But on the other hand I think they're (in most) shown here without any link to Polish history, rather to show the entirety of the museum's collection.

Regards

PS. One thing I do not understand, why they've decided tu put a string on the bow which is now in wrong direction!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote